Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS front brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS front brake noise

Been experiencing a strange noise on my '12 Street Glide. Whenever the front brakes are applied, I get a clicking noise from the front wheel area. It sounds like when you put a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid, a constant clicking sound. Let off the front brake, the noise goes away. Brakes and handles fine. Rear brake does not do this. Took it to the dealer for the 1K checkup, had them look at it. They claim its normal, that it is caused by the single pin calipers.

If its normal, that would seem to me to be a poor setup, making that noise like that. Anybody else experience this?

Did a board search on ABS noise and got a zillion hits, but didn't see anything like what I'm experiencing.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

if i'm at speed, and i hit the front brakes, i get a sound that almost sounds like a bunch of cicadas..... is that the same noise you hear? i got it on my 07, does it on my 2010, and i've heard it from other's bikes as well when they are near me and they hit their brakes.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM
apx07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDchrome
Been experiencing a strange noise on my '12 Street Glide. Whenever the front brakes are applied, I get a clicking noise from the front wheel area. It sounds like when you put a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid, a constant clicking sound. Let off the front brake, the noise goes away. Brakes and handles fine. Rear brake does not do this. Took it to the dealer for the 1K checkup, had them look at it. They claim its normal, that it is caused by the single pin calipers.

If its normal, that would seem to me to be a poor setup, making that noise like that. Anybody else experience this?

Did a board search on ABS noise and got a zillion hits, but didn't see anything like what I'm experiencing.
I get a similar sound from for 2012 Fat Bob ABS. Got a bit softer after 800 miles or so, but still audible. Not sure if it's normal, but the dealer checked it out and said all normal. I changed brake rotors to stringers and it's the same. I would only expect to hear or feel chirping when the ABS is activated under heavy braking, but it all seems to work OK so I'm just going to see how it goes.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Yep, I have it on my '10 CVO SG too.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll get a single click as the pads set - that is very typical and yes, could be called "normal". But I never get a constant clicking like the baseball card description you gave.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
bikerider3
Stage III

I recently started getting the same noise on my 2012 FLD, including the clicking noise.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

No noise from my ABS brakes on my 2010 Limited.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 AM
SoCal Bob
3rd Gear

My brand new 2014 Heritage Softail makes a strange noise when braking, too. I like the description above of it sounding like cicadas - that's pretty accurate. I was describing it as a ticked off duck - quaaack...

I had the front brakes checked by the dealer - they found nothing wrong. Since then, I've noticed that the noise happens only when braking on bumpy pavement, entering a driveway, etc... and being as it's not the front brakes making the noise, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ABS module located nearby on the front of the frame.

I have a friend who has a 2011 Deluxe - he never noticed the noise before, but told me that a few months ago he heard it, and has heard it ever since. He's not sure what it is either, but he came up with the same theory about the module.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:23 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe berarings are going out, make noise when stopping pressure is put on the wheel??? No ABS noise on my 2011.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 AM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

I have it on my 2012 SG and it is on my sons 94 Sporty (even after we replaced Caliper, rotor and wheel bearings)

I think it's related to the holes in the rotor.

Quick Reply: ABS front brake noise