Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Yea thats what I'm thinking as well. I hate too because the guys a Smith Bros. have been good to me but $300 is alot of money to throw away.
My dealer is stepping up to the plate on this one so hopefully it will take care of the problem. I will leave it with them this coming Saturday.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
I'm going to stick with the stocker. I believe half or more of the compensators that were replaced probably were fine, with the starter being the problem. Not sayin, just sayin.
I totally agree with your statement. I believe it is starter noise that is making some of the "bang" that most are hearing.

But, I went ahead and changed-out my compensator to the SE version on my 2010 Limited. There was nothing wrong with the stocker, other than it was just a stock compensator. Lots of stories about guys having their compensator bolt "come loose" after the dealer did the work. That was probably because it was not torqued properly or torqued using the sprocket lock tool instead of holding the 1.75 inch nut with a big *** wrench and torquing to specs with appropriate red locktite. (initially to 100 lbs, then back off a full turn, then torque to 140 ft lbs). I used the "grind" method and did not have to remove the clutch or the inner primary. It was pretty easy.

The bike does start easier now. The spring pack in the SE is a real step forward compared to the stocker.

I believe proper lubrication is essential to keeping spoke erosion to a minimum. A good synthetic oil with good shear rating would be a fine choice for the primary compartment. Be sure to make sure the lube is clutch-friendly.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could someone explain to me what this compensator is and what the change is about, etc.?
I searched and didnt come up with anything.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Block head
Could someone explain to me what this compensator is and what the change is about, etc.?
I searched and didnt come up with anything.
'audible loud knock coming from the primary chain case on each engine startup. knock appears to originate from the compensator sprocket assembly which cushions the drive side crankshaft sprocket and the primary drive assembly when striking each other at engine startup. many compensator sprocket assemblies have been found in failure mode and have been replaced with a more robust unit (factory installed on 2010 and later models) under warranty. failure in service could be catastrophic and operator injury or death could result. manufacturer is aware of issues but have not recalled any units for refit of upgraded component.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/harley-david...#ixzz1iLqA7B8E

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Yes, The spokes that the cams ride on wear away and make metal shavings. That's really not a big problem though. After a while it will quit makeing so many shavings, but then the fretting begins... The thing doesn't get the oil it needs and it will eat itself up.

Other than that, I love the SE comp.
The OEM stock comp sitting on my desk from my '07 Ultra apparently didn't get the required oil either... I'm guessing that OE or SE doesn't matter. It's just a poor bearing design.
37k miles and the bearing surfaces of both the extension and the primary gear are worn to the point of seeing a good inch of the bronze base metal at 6 and 12 O'clock.
On a $500 chinese scooter--meh, ok.
On a $20k touring bike - total crap.
Jus' Sayin

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Originally Posted by duecedog
'audible loud knock coming from the primary chain case on each engine startup. knock appears to originate from the compensator sprocket assembly which cushions the drive side crankshaft sprocket and the primary drive assembly when striking each other at engine startup. many compensator sprocket assemblies have been found in failure mode and have been replaced with a more robust unit (factory installed on 2010 and later models) under warranty. failure in service could be catastrophic and operator injury or death could result. manufacturer is aware of issues but have not recalled any units for refit of upgraded component.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/harley-david...#ixzz1iLqA7B8E
O.K. So its NOT supposed to make that noise when it starts up?
I thought it was kinda cool. Sounded like it was exploding to life.
So if it does make that knock, what is happening, and how long do I have before I need to replace it?
I bought this bike a weak ago, and I cant afford to be replacing parts on it already.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if it does make that knock, what is happening, and how long do I have before I need to replace it?
I bought this bike a weak ago, and I cant afford to be replacing parts on it already.
You will hear a loud bang usually followed by gears grinding. It ain't kinda cool and in my case replacing the starter cured it.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Naw, I dont hear any gear grinding noise. Just that bang or clack noise, then its running.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
OldFordTrk1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't feel like a pregnant nun.

I've had mine for a couple months now and thinking the same thing. Bought mine used with a little over 20k miles. 2010 Ultra. I just put on a new rear tire, new front brakes (nothing wrong I just wanted to know what condition the brakes were in) and had a bad rear fender tip light (water inside destroyed the circuit board). Going into the primary without riding a complete season was not what I had in mind. What happens when/if this thing fails? What is the best case? Worse case? Will it start making a lot of noise and let you know when its going bad? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New used bike here as well. What years are of concern?
I know there is no knock or gear noise on start-up. Maintenance wes on schedule and I'm considering swapping oil and lube to synthetic.
I have an 04 w/ 16k miles.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!