Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
WELL I have a slight vibration in my floorboards and my service manager says its the comp. But they won't cover it under warranty. He claims HD denied a claim on them and they had to eat the $250. So what am I to do?
Different dealer

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
rlaf75
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
New used bike here as well. What years are of concern?
I know there is no knock or gear noise on start-up. Maintenance wes on schedule and I'm considering swapping oil and lube to synthetic.
I have an 04 w/ 16k miles.
The bikes with 96" motors and some of the 103" motors. Basically 07 to some 11s. I did comp and rebuilt the starter a few weeks ago and it made a big difference. Unfortunately i only got about 30miles on it before it went into hibernation. Cant wait to get some quality seat time on her to really tell though.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right on! Thanks, I was beginning to wonder. I already have other potential projects, fluids, taliilght/stop light improvements, un-lowering or tru-trac type device and was not sure if I needed to add this prior to spring.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I totally agree with your statement. I believe it is starter noise that is making some of the "bang" that most are hearing.

But, I went ahead and changed-out my compensator to the SE version on my 2010 Limited. There was nothing wrong with the stocker, other than it was just a stock compensator. Lots of stories about guys having their compensator bolt "come loose" after the dealer did the work. That was probably because it was not torqued properly or torqued using the sprocket lock tool instead of holding the 1.75 inch nut with a big *** wrench and torquing to specs with appropriate red locktite. (initially to 100 lbs, then back off a full turn, then torque to 140 ft lbs). I used the "grind" method and did not have to remove the clutch or the inner primary. It was pretty easy.

The bike does start easier now. The spring pack in the SE is a real step forward compared to the stocker.

I believe proper lubrication is essential to keeping spoke erosion to a minimum. A good synthetic oil with good shear rating would be a fine choice for the primary compartment. Be sure to make sure the lube is clutch-friendly.
There in lies the problem, there will no lube that will be better for one with out being worse for the other. Stock comp for me using Drag primary lube. But I have been auto comp equipped since the first hot start issue after installing high comp pistons 3 years ago. I believe that lessens a lot of the stress on the spring pack.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna try the BDL one without the spring. I have it already, it looks pretty sweet!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went and bought a SE Compensator today, next week I'm getting my engine done, 107, heads, crank work, gear drive cams, etc, I figured since I'm getting all that done I might as well go with the better compensator, not to mention I got 20% off also.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I went and bought a SE Compensator today, next week I'm getting my engine done, 107, heads, crank work, gear drive cams, etc, I figured since I'm getting all that done I might as well go with the better compensator, not to mention I got 20% off also.
It's a heavier unit with stronger springs, the jury is out in my mind as to being better. This is just my take. With all the talk about possible crank issues, why add extra mass on the end of it? Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe my stock comp will give it up on the next ride, who knows?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Until they redesign the thing, you have to look at it like it's an expense like new tires. The thing will just wear out. But for the first 20K miles it's great. I ran mine for 30 to 35K before I changed it out again. It starts out making a little noise when you ride double and you start up a hill. At first you can give it more or less gas and the noise will go away. The trouble is the noise gets louder and and more often as you put more miles on it. After a while you will willingly pay the $300 to get rid of the noise.

Then you're good to go for another 20K.
I'm at about 18k now with no noises, at least none that I didn't have before. I think the fretting issues were for the original design, which is what I have, but the SE comp was supposedly redesigned a while back and I would expect the OP to have that new design. I understand that the type of oil that you use is important on the older design and that thin oil like ATF isn't the best option. I've been using Castrol GTX 20w50 for the duration and I get about the same residue on the magnet as before, which is little more than some very fine deposits, most of it the consistency of silver-paint. I change the oil every 5k.

The effect of upgrading to the SE comp was similar to what's been reported by others, which is smoother shifting and no starter knock. I changed it out only because I had the primary apart to replace a #8967 tranny mainshaft bearing, and I didn't have any major complaints with the stock comp. It was an opportunity to install it at no labor charge and at this point in time I'm glad I did it.

Last edited by iclick; 01-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog
'audible loud knock coming from the primary chain case on each engine startup. knock appears to originate from the compensator sprocket assembly which cushions the drive side crankshaft sprocket and the primary drive assembly when striking each other at engine startup. many compensator sprocket assemblies have been found in failure mode and have been replaced with a more robust unit (factory installed on 2010 and later models) under warranty. failure in service could be catastrophic and operator injury or death could result. manufacturer is aware of issues but have not recalled any units for refit of upgraded component.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/harley-david...#ixzz1iLqA7B8E

"Factory installed on 2010 and later models". So, does that mean with my 2010 bike, I'm good then? It has the "more robust unit"?

I'm asking because I'm about to pull the trigger on the SE comp kit. I got a hell of a bang the other day upon start up. Seems it does it if the bike hasn't been started in a while. Any thoughts on that as well??

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
"Factory installed on 2010 and later models". So, does that mean with my 2010 bike, I'm good then? It has the "more robust unit"?

I'm asking because I'm about to pull the trigger on the SE comp kit. I got a hell of a bang the other day upon start up. Seems it does it if the bike hasn't been started in a while. Any thoughts on that as well??
Not correct..... The only 2010's that had the SE Compensator were the trikes.....The SE Compensator is standard on 2011 & up touring models.

I bought a end of year 2010 and it had the standard comp from the factory.

Quick Reply: SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!