Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcun10t
Im trying to understand how putting RTV between the engine mount flange and the plug will stop it from leaking?
The RTV between the stator grommet and the engine mount flange stabilizes the grommet by minimizing any relative movement between the grommet and the engine case. That relative movement is very likely the root cause of the leak in the first place so minimizing it is a good thing. While filling that cavity or space alone may or may not stop the leak, when combined with the RTV around the grommet to the engine case 360 degrees you have a pretty robust repair.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
The RTV between the stator grommet and the engine mount flange stabilizes the grommet by minimizing any relative movement between the grommet and the engine case. That relative movement is very likely the root cause of the leak in the first place so minimizing it is a good thing. While filling that cavity or space alone may or may not stop the leak, when combined with the RTV around the grommet to the engine case 360 degrees you have a pretty robust repair.
That makes much more sense..

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warranty Worked for Me

2Blk1s- that was precisely my belief in the root problem. HD exacerbated the problem by not offering a reasonable fix (a plugging situation where you could just purchase a section of the wire harness with a connector at the case).

The second part of the problem is that the cable comes from the case making a sharp turn to where an OEM tie-down point on the frame which when combined with engine vibration and heat strains the grommet material beyond its design specs -- vibration, heat, sun eventually gets the better of it.

The fix for me was taking "Flamed" advice -- warranty covered the repair which was a replacement of the stator (used Cycle Electric part). I asked two dealer service managers how common this problem was -- it is common. One dealer commented he replaces more than a dozen or two a week.... seems like to me a better design would save HD a bunch on warranty repairs, but what do I know?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Today I was reading a new thread about a guy questioning the same leak as described in this thread on his bike. I dug out this thread to provide him a link to my repair and while here I decided to post an update on the repair's effectiveness.

I can report that today, approximately 13 months and 17,410 miles later that the repair has perfromed flawlessly. Not a hint of any leak or seepage is evident.

In my opinion, if done correctly, the silicone repair method described herein is as good a fix as any.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Jet (a plugging situation where you could just purchase a section of the wire harness with a connector at the case).

The older bikes use to have a plug here. Problem is depending on use, a lot of spray and especially in salty areas the connection would corrode raising resistance and the plug when heat up and you would loose you alternator connection. Trouble is both connections would be trash. I am glad it's not two piece. Fixing a drip with some rtv is a lot cheaper then a alternator and a wire harness to the regulator

Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

There is a semi easy fix that works pretty well.. You have to pull the stator, clean the plug and hole real good , then slip 2-4 drain plug O rings over the grommet. I like to use a light coat of high temp sillycone to slip the stator grommet back in place..

Seals em right up.. Got this idea from a friend who got it from a mechanic that works at Gail's HD in Missouri.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Here we are approximately four years and 60,000 miles since I started this thread. I just read another thread with potentially the same leak as mine so I thought I'd link this thread so the other OP could consider this or a similar repair. And while doing so provide an update on how my repair is performing. In one word... Perfectly! Bone dry without even a hint of any seepage since the repair was made.

At the time of my leak I thought it was foolish to replace the entire stator simply to repair a leak at the grommet. My experience has proven that to be a valid decision.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:48 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

if i have to replace my stator, it's getting some o-rings on it. until then it's sillycone. good tips here!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default fresh leak

Here we are approximately four years and 60,000 miles since I started this thread. I just read another thread with potentially the same leak as mine so I thought I'd link this thread so the other OP could consider this or a similar repair. And while doing so provide an update on how my repair is performing. In one word... Perfectly! Bone dry without even a hint of any seepage since the repair was made.

At the time of my leak I thought it was foolish to replace the entire stator simply to repair a leak at the grommet. My experience has proven that to be a valid decision.
Just found mine leaking debating yanking primary but after reading thread going to try sealing tomorrow

Old 05-11-2016, 06:45 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

21,011 miles and I just saw the first drop of oil on the garage floor from my bike (2011 Limited). So I start searching for the source. The bottom of the crankcase is covered as is the joint between the primary case and crankcase in the front. I follow the oil looking for the most forward and highest point that I can find. Bingo. It looks like the rubber seal where the stator wires go through the crankcase.

So now I assess my options:

1) Take it to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty. (Note: This is the least desirable of my options).
2) Remove the primary case and stator. Inspect and replace parts as required. (This is the next least desirable option).
3) Clean the area thoroughly and apply a bead of RTV (silicone) around the stator grommet. (Yeah! Now we're talking!)

So... Option 3 it was. Took about an hour. I'll let it cure overnight and give it a test in the morning, but I'm sure it's going to be fine.

In trying to determine the cause of the leak, I noticed that the wires are zip-tied to the frame. As the engine is running and moving/vibrating in the engine mounts and the wires being "fixed" to the frame, the grommet and orings sealing the stator wires through the crankcase are constantly being stressed by the engine vibrations and the relative movement between the stator grommet and the zip-tie . I believe that is the root cause.

There are two fixes I could see. First, make sure there is as much slack as possible between the stator grommet and the zip-tie. This will provide for the most flexibility in the wires thereby minimizing the stresses on the grommet. The second fix which I did since I already had the RTV out, was to fill the cavity between the engine crakcase and the stator grommet with RTV. This will minimize any relative movement between the stator grommet and the engine by bonding them together, again reducing any stresses on the grommet.

We'll see how this works... Time will tell.
I had this problem on my Road Glide. I paid a dealer about $500 to fix it before I new about the RTV stuff, which I'm still not crazy about. Frankly, I've lost my patience with Harley and stuff like this. It just shouldn't happen and if it does, it shouldn't cost so much to fix a problem they know is a design flaw. I pray I don't get this leak on my new bike after the warranty is up. I just may end up on a different brand of bike. I hate to say it. I've been a die hard Harley rider, defender, consumer for years. I've got a huge investment in Harley. Just not willing to live with leaks on bike at these price points

Quick Reply: First Oil Leak