Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - Best Price Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Sorry for your bad luck.

Just curious, what year is your CVO, how many miles did you have on it when it "took a dump", and did you have OEM lifters installed ?

I'm asking because I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I've heard a strange "noise" in my engine under moderate acceleration at about 3800 RPM's.
I've got about 8800miles on mine and I'm going to try to get 10,000 miles on it so I can take it in for the service and I want them to take my complaint seriously. I've had lifter issues on a H-D (in '75) so I know a problem lifter when I hear it.

Thanks.
Not trying to hijack by no means. But Big Sky was coming back from Daytona Bike Week when his motor went south. If you go to the CVOHarley site, it's posted with all the details. If I am correct, I believe he had around 17k miles on the clock. (under 20k) when his bike died.

I too had some weird noise coming from the motor. I ended up making my dealership write down each time the noise became louder. Long story short, on the third time in, my wrench (good friend) said that it was really bad. Ended up getting new SE parts throughout lifters, oil pump, cam plate, etc., etc. while I was in there I upgrade to the Fullsac Stage II "sleeper" kit.

As it turned out my original lifters were totally fine! (B series lifters) the problem was that the inner gear in the oil pump and the back of the Cam plate was all scared up. Something got caught in there and did slight damage.

The sound was first notice at about 25K, most reports have been around 20-25K.
Second time was around 29K and then finally replaced under warranty around 31K.

Back to the future, my Bagger now runs so much better with my current mods!

YB

Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the 7 year coverage with tire and wheel from Jim Palmer Kutter back in 2013 for $1858. I now feel he charged me a bit more then everyone else.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very good friend of mine is an insurance agent, he told me that extended coverage is a very poor investment and that the last data he saw on rejections was nearly 40%. I have been..riding Harley's for nearly 45 years and during that period of time have heard multiple stories about minor alterations voiding claims. I questioned my local Harley dealer about the extended product and he told me in his opinion they were heavily over priced and were really a nuisance when claims were submitted, he never hyped the product.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I continue to be amazed by the people who buy their Harley motorcycle and then make aftermarket modifications (exhaust; engine mods, etc) and then when a failure occurs, they expect the Extended Warranty to cover these failures. What manufacturer of any product would warranty that product after the owner has modified it in any way?

Extended warranties are nothing more than an insurance policy. If you have no failures then perhaps the warranty cost was a waste of money. On the other hand, if you do have a failure, then maybe its worth the cost. My own experience with my 2010 StreetGlide (completely stock) is that the Extended Warranty has paid off. I bought the 5 year contract (Factory 2 plus 5) for approximately $1600. I have now had about that amount in claims, so I am about break-even on the plan. I still have three more years of coverage so I think I might come out ahead of the game. By contrast, my GF had a 3 year contract (Factory 2 plus 3) on her Softail Deluxe and has had only two failures of minor expense, so her expenditure perhaps was not so good. We just renewed her's for another 3 years any way. We ride our Harleys a lot and intend to put at least 100,000 miles on both. We think the Extended Warranty is a good thing to have with this in mind. If you own a Garage Queen and hardly ride much at all, then perhaps it does not make sense to spend the money on the warranty.
I have had absolutely NO issues with my claims and my local dealer doing the work in spite of the fact that I bought the contract from another out of state dealer (Kutter HD). Sadly this will no longer be available as dealers can no longer sell out of state.

Roll the dice and good luck!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
I got the 7 year coverage with tire and wheel from Jim Palmer Kutter back in 2013 for $1858. I now feel he charged me a bit more then everyone else.
no, i don't think he did. a lot of the prices that you are seeing on this thread are several years old. i got the same plan that you did, in sep 2013, and paid the same price. coincidentally, hd (not kutter) announced a price increase about a week after i bought it.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Sorry for your bad luck.

Just curious, what year is your CVO, how many miles did you have on it when it "took a dump", and did you have OEM lifters installed ?

I'm asking because I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I've heard a strange "noise" in my engine under moderate acceleration at about 3800 RPM's.
I've got about 8800miles on mine and I'm going to try to get 10,000 miles on it so I can take it in for the service and I want them to take my complaint seriously. I've had lifter issues on a H-D (in '75) so I know a problem lifter when I hear it.

Thanks.
12 CVO 18K miles, front intake lifter came apart, basically snapped the lower part of the lifter off where the roller is pinned through. Debris through out engine, took out everything but heads and throttle body. What a mess...

Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased my ESP with wheel coverage in Feb of this year. Within a month, I had screw in the front tire, then had a blowout on the rear. Including flatbed and tire replacement costs, I've covered 75% of my cost for the ESP. I do ride about 20K per year and figured it might be worth it. So far, so good.

I got mine from Kutter HD and Jim Palmer was good to work with.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, but after reading this thread and thinking about my planned travel in the upcoming years, I decided to called Jim @ Kutter today (4/21/14), he can no longer offer the extended warranty. The MoCo put a stop to it "You'll have to talk to your local dealer".

I can't think of many companies that get MSRP for just about everything they sell.
Too bad I didn't buy the bike last year.

Last edited by 01XLH; 04-21-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Juggerpops
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is a couple months old but, I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2014 street bob, the dealer is offering me $1000 off list with no freight & set up. in my mind not a bad deal based on my research. the 5 year extended warranty with tire & wheel coverage $1790 and $995 for the service plan.
the service plan covers 1k, 5k, & 10K services.

I am probably going to go with the Extended Warranty curious to know if the $995 for the three services is a good deal break even or looser.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No luck

I called Jim Palmer at Kutter and received his voice message. His voice message states that HD extended warranty is now required to be purchased at your local HD store. Apparently you cannot purchase from Jim Palmer if you are not local.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Best Price Dealer?