Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Hang Around
Default Electraglide Instrument Panel Mount Failure

Has anyone had the mounting bracket for the inner fairing fail. I had the left, top metal bracket (area behind fuel gauge) break off about a year or so ago. Attached a 'patch' with a couple of bolts. Now, hearing rattles, and noticing excessive windshield vibration and going in there to see why the fuel gauge light was not working, I notice the inner fairing plastic around that mounting point has several cracks.

Thank you. Danelstd
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Road Warrior

That sucks! I've had the faring support bracket break several times but never the plastic. Good luck with that repair.
2006 ultra classic firefighters special edition. SE203 cams, SE/Zippers ac, SERT, Rinehart true duals,82hp 94tq. Real flames over factory paint, Milwaukee Bagger Dash, PM wheels. Some chrome stuff, custom stuff and about 200 L.E.D.S.
http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/forum.php
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Hang Around

same as coolerman, the two brackets broke within a year of each other. I used a small hardware clip using the original mount on the top end of each bracket, and drilled the small thru bolts (10-32 fasteners and silicone to lock them up) at the lower ends and so far have had success. The overall size of the fastener you used may have stressed the plastic, and under constant vibration just fractured.
The windshield threaded inserts are another weak point. I've had to JB Weld all three into their sockets.
Lets hope ingenuity prevails for you on this one.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Road Master

I have read a thread on here somewhere about where the replacement fairing mount brackets have been changed because of them breaking. There was pictures of the original & improved brackets. Has anybody heard of the improved brackets breaking? I cant help but wonder how much of this is being caused by wheelies & such.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHubbs View Post
I have read a thread on here somewhere about where the replacement fairing mount brackets have been changed because of them breaking. There was pictures of the original & improved brackets. Has anybody heard of the improved brackets breaking? I cant help but wonder how much of this is being caused by wheelies & such.
I replaced mine at about 4,000 miles. One broke but I did both as long as I was in there. The new bracket is more rigid and thicker where they break

2004 EGC
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Prospect

Not caused by wheelies or any such thing, caused by vibration at the weakest point, being the brackets. The new style brackets are thicker and better designed. Had to replace my originals at the end of the season so I don't know how the new ones will stand up yet but should be better. There are several after-market repair kits available that look pretty good as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Another reason I don't like fairings, besides the way they look, is 'cause of all the rattling & breaking of the mounts. Useless,IMHO. A windsheild is better,and who the hell needs a radio?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Road Master

I have all 4 of mine changed now and so far no issues with the new style brackets. They are designed better than the old cheap ones!

And no, I dont do wheelies!

2011 XL1200C
Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Senior Rider

Don't know if you looked but if you do a search on here there have been a few good threads about the brackets. If you have the older ones I know that a lot of people had problems with them and had them replaced.

1HarleyGuy1
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHubbs View Post
wheelies & such!!!!! GUILTY!!! Seriously though. Do you think wheelies put stress on the faring? Never considered thats why mine kept breaking. I always set the front down easy.
2006 ultra classic firefighters special edition. SE203 cams, SE/Zippers ac, SERT, Rinehart true duals,82hp 94tq. Real flames over factory paint, Milwaukee Bagger Dash, PM wheels. Some chrome stuff, custom stuff and about 200 L.E.D.S.
http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/forum.php
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM

P