Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this re-mapping deal ? scam ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this re-mapping deal ? scam ?

Ok , think about this for a minute, Harley tells me "you dont have to remap if you just put on slip on mufflers ..... but if you put on an aftermarket breather then you have to remap.... "because you are getting more air into the engine" so they are basically saying that their stock filter design is so poor that it is actually restricting the amount of air your engine can get through it ....if it is "getting more" air with another breather .... now I have been building drag racing engines for over 30 years and have proven over and over again that with or without an air filter on it , no horsepower is gained because basically an engine is only capable of inhaling so many Cubic feet of air per minute through the same carb/injector ..period...if the filter design is good to start with................... so unless Harleys design is a total piece of crap and is restricting the engine.......in the first place the engine is not getting any more "air into it " with a stage 1 breather or similar breather or no breather at all............So why do they tell you that you need a remap? more money for them ???

Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at your stock intake with the plastic cover around it. Only a small hole where air can get in.

The bike comes from the factory running lean to meet the EPA regulations. The harley "download" is EPA mandated so you won't notice a big difference on that.

I bought my dyna new in the middle of the summer where temps were in the 100's. I thought that new motor was going to fry until I richened it up with XEID's from nightrider.com. The motor cooled down a good 25 degrees. If you have the bucks, invest in a tuner it will run better and cooler.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Being an engine builder I would expect you'd know that most stock engines are restricted for the sake of fuel economy and EPA regs. Been that way as long as I can remember.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jberg
Being an engine builder I would expect you'd know that most stock engines are restricted for the sake of fuel economy and EPA regs. Been that way as long as I can remember.
Yea the EPA at the drags!! you are 100% correct! Please not another conspiracy theory

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep the OEM intake is intentionally under engineered to upsell you the SE version. That is the big HD scam and it's not limited to air cleaners, it transcends every aspect of the machine. Welcome to the wonderfull world of Harley Davidson. With your background you should readily recognize that any induction modification, intake or exhaust, changes volumetric efficiency, and tuning is necessary to regain optimum fuel management. So with a new AC you will need a tune. Scam? That such an ugly word, lets just call it planned obselescence, or what it really is deliberate deception, or positioning for future fleecing of existing customers.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Read the article in the last American Iron Magazine. They took a stock 103 HD and ran a base line dyno. Then they added a breather and got the dyno numbers. They then added the slip on's and dyno'd .

The end result was a little over 8 hp gain with both and no running problems at all. HD used to say you could do both and the ECM would return the AFR back to the EPA emissions level.

AIM said you only need a tune if you do get running problems. However, they explained that the function of the 02 sensors is to adjust the AFR. If you want more power then a non compliant tune that has a richer AFR. All HD downloads are EPA compliant as they don't want to pay the $10K per bike fine.

I did a better breather on the 12 103 RG and it runs great. Dealer said nothing when they did warranty work on it last week.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just like the "timer" cover.......ain't nothing in there so why do you need a removable cover??? To sell more stuff!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_oh
Just like the "timer" cover.......ain't nothing in there so why do you need a removable cover??? To sell more stuff!!!
Waaaa hahahahahahaha................now that's funny.
(I'm agreeing with you)

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

What you youngins dont know is the whole intake conspiracy theory started on some grassy knoll way back.
As for the timer cover, maybe a stash place lol!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bagman1
What you youngins dont know is the whole intake conspiracy theory started on some grassy knoll way back.
As for the timer cover, maybe a stash place lol!
The Secret is out!!!

Quick Reply: this re-mapping deal ? scam ?