Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Classic No Horn

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electra Classic No Horn

I just bought a 2001 Electra Glide Classic yesterday, 11k miles. I have not bought a manual yet. Trying to get a answer ASAP I double posted, sorry but I want to ride!

My horn does not work. I did the search first and came up with nothing.

I did run power to the horn and it checks out.
I checked the switch and power is going to the switch, and the switch is working properly.
I checked the connection plug at the horn and it is fine

My problem is the wiring between the switch and the horn. When the switch is pressed there is no power to the horn.

The PO told me that the horn only worked sometimes and a buddy of mine with a 01 Road Glide or whatever, told me his horn sometimes does not work.

Any ideas an where to look first? Is there a fuse from the switch to the horn that I am missing? Or maybe a connector?

This is my first dresser although not my first HD. Rider for about 40 years, from PanHead to Evo. So go ahead and give me the low down.

Thank you,

Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd lift the tank and follow the run. It's either in the bars or under the tank. I'd hope for under the tank.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

Thanks but I was hoping for some one that had the problem at one time. Before I tear the whole thing apart.

I am guessing that it is common, somewhat?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=89 FXRS;9255454]

I checked the switch and power is going to the switch, and the switch is working properly.

My problem is the wiring between the switch and the horn. When the switch is pressed there is no power to the horn.

So you have power to the horn? Switch is OK, how did you check that? And how did you check the connection at the horn? Your trouble shooting seems to contradict your conclusions.

Have you placed a meter across the horn terminals and pressed the horn switch to see if voltage is present? If you voltage there, then your horn is broke. Go to the autoparts place and get a high or low tone horn and install it. It will hang fine under the cowbell cover.

If you have no voltage, check your fuse. If your fuse is OK, then check the wiring back up to the switch. Step at a time.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My horn does not work. I did the search first and came up with nothing.

I'd lift the tank and follow the run. It's either in the bars or under the tank. I'd hope for under the tank.

Thanks but I was hoping for some one that had the problem at one time. Before I tear the whole thing apart.

I am guessing that it is common, somewhat?
Dude, you seem to have trouble shot it down to this, between the switch and the horn. Nothing there but wire, break out the Fluke and start checking that wire. Nothing else it could be 'cept maybe a gremlin.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I do not have a book yet. I know the bad wire is the wire from the switch to the horn.

Is the wire run easy to find? Where exactly do I trace it?

Will pulling the tank be the whole wire run?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 394 Posts

it could be a grounding problem with the horn. I'd take a Meter and trace the ground and see if its a loose connection to the frame or something.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
it could be a grounding problem with the horn. I'd take a Meter and trace the ground and see if its a loose connection to the frame or something.
Not the ground. As I stated I do not have power from the switch to the horn..

My question is where is the wire run, can I reach it with just pulling the tank?

And are there any connections or anything alse in the wire run from the switch to the horn?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Even with your diagnostic results, I would replace the horn itself. Common failure with horn. My bet.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

You could well benefit from revising the circuit.

use a relay to draw horn power from the battery, use the stock wiring ( once you get it sorted out) to open the relay.

this is like the horn circuit in the car and much more reliable, less sensitive to switch corrosion, ground contacts or temperature

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electra Classic No Horn