Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help whats the best stereo for my road king

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
skidaddy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help whats the best stereo for my road king

i have purchased two seperate radios for my bike the harley boom audio system and rons motorcycle stereo system both i didnt like and want to buy the best one i can im looking into the cycle sounds 3 inch speaker system can anyone shed any light on this subject thank you

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
RoadKingGibson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the cyclesounds 3" speaker system on my Road King Classic. It's probably one of the better units out there but to be honest it doesn't cut it when you're riding on the highway. I then installed the cyclesounds 6x9 system into my bags. They do much better then the 3" BUT the problem is when you're on the highway you have to lean back to hear the bag speakers. On the classic bags the lids point the speakers away from the rider. If you have hard bags, I would look at the bagger concepts speaker lids. They direct the speakers at the rider. www.baggerconcepts.com

The bottom line is the 3" speakers do not cut it if you like listening to music at highway speeds.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I tried a few, but until I built my detachable fairing nothing cut it.

I really like the sound I get from good quality ear buds. The are obviously the best sound. But they annoy me after a while, and I am not to sure about riding with them.

It will be interesting to see what works for you.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I researched all the available systems and decided to just go ahead and get a fairing.

For me it was the best decision. I figured up the cost of a quality handlebar or windshield mounted system, and for a little more I could have a fairing with a full boar stereo system. I presently don't own an iPod, so, System + iPod = $$$$.

I have a Reckless fairing with a Sony MS-60 head unit and 6X9,s and have no trouble hearing it at 75-80 mph.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My
I use ear buds with my Zumo 650. I think the ear buds offer the best sound quality, they help reduce road noise (yet still allow me to hear well enough to know what is going on around me), and I got a GPS/ride planner to boot!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=2004Sierra;9271074]I presently don't own an iPod, so, System + iPod = $$$$.QUOTE]

I didn't want a radio, so my system is just an amp+iPod+speakers=not that expensive.

Attached Thumbnails Help whats the best stereo for my road king-07-29-09_1725.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

When we went to Sturgis we both got radios from this great small company. My hubby rides a road king and I was was on an 883C at the time. The picture below it the radio on my new deluxe. The company is called extreme cycle radio http://www.extremecycleradio.com/
The set up is a radio plus it plays MP3 from an SD card or USB stick. In addition you can hook up a ipod/ iphone/ sat radio to it. The speakers are small but super powerful. I ride with full gear including a full face and I can hear mine great at speed. There is a small receiver that is in my windshield bag and on my hubbies RK in his saddlebag wired up under the tank. I run my music on an SD card that I leave in the radio all the time. I just transfer a bunch of songs over from my computer but I could also run my iphone. Cost was less than the speakers you can but that only work with an ipod and aren't as strong.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, what didn't you like about the HD Boom system? I ended up going with the Boom after a lot of research. It was a toss up between it and uniq cycle sounds classic edition but I ended up going with the HD system so I'm curious why you didn't like the Boom?

Here's a link to the Uniq....check it out

http://www.uniqcycle.com/classic-mot...-speakers.html

Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Pumba11;9271123]
Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
I presently don't own an iPod, so, System + iPod = $$$$.QUOTE]

I didn't want a radio, so my system is just an amp+iPod+speakers=not that expensive.

I fully understand...It was just my opinion. Some folks don't want fairings either, but my problem was that we ride two up 90 percent of the time.
It seems I can't start the bike without my "passenger" ready to go along for the ride.

I am kidding, I really enjoy the riding time with the wife.

Anyway, we both wanted to hear on air broadcast as well as recorded music. We wanted on air so we could hear weather, FM and such also.

I figured, $500 for a quality speaker/amp kit, $200 iPod = $700.

I have $1100.00 total in my totally painted quick removeable fairing.

Please don't think I am trying to force my opinion on anybody, to each his own, but the extra $400.00 for a full fairing, FM digital radio and 6x9 speakers just seemed to be a better solution for us.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uniq cycle sounds mounted to the crash bars. If I have the windshield on I can hear them up to around 70. Not loud or crystal clear but I was certainly impressed. the main thing is they are a 4" speaker made by pioneer. Thats what sold me. Also the company has an A+ rating throught the BBB.

Quick Reply: Help whats the best stereo for my road king