Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight lift table conversion to air

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

So you have it connected or just have it to try? If you have it working can you send some pics of how you connected it and what you needed to do it?

I think a lot of members here would be interested.

Thakns

Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is pretty much it, lazy I guess, and I want to see if it could be done.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
kdodd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
The air over oil solution is simply changing the motive energy for driving the hydraulic pump, nothing more, nothing less.

With jacking solutions you typically use human power (hand pump) or an electric driven pump set. This gives you a third option.

I guess the key question is why you want to do this? Is it because you have a compressor already and want to save the effort / hassle of pumping by hand?
I do have a compressor, just wanted to see if it could be done, easier is better in my book.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Here are some pictures that I took of the jack on the lift. No charge for the dust and dog hair. Anyone think this can be converted by attaching the air over hydraulic pump to the up input on the jack? It kind of looks like a pipe thread to me. Are there metric pipe threads? Being an all american boy not sure on that one.

Attached Thumbnails Harbor Freight lift table conversion to air-lift-jack-01.jpg   Harbor Freight lift table conversion to air-lift-jack-002.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

The photo shows that the hand pump is integrated in to the base of the cylinder. There will be some check valve assemblies in the base as well. Also, you will need to get a line from the "reservoir" (base of the cylinder) to the suction side of the hydraulic pump on the air / oil intensifier. I will study the info you PM'd me and respond in full through that

Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

I have looked at the manual KDodd PM'd me and responded as follows:

I have looked at this and it gives just about all the info I need. Basically I think you are going to really battle to get this to work.

The current pump is screwed in to the base of the ram. For a pump to work it needs an inlet and an outlet. The inlet (suction) is in a cross drilling gallery in the base block. The outlet is also a gallery in that block. The pump plunger separates these 2 galleries. For you to now utilise an external pump (which is in effect what you are doing by using an air / oil intensifier ) you need to bypass this pump and connect to the high pressure gallery but you also need to supply this intensifier which is also a gallery in the block. There is no way of connecting to that gallery, and also once you remove the existing pump plunger (which you have to do to get to the pressure gallery) the the suction and pressure are joined and you will never build up pressure.

If you wanted to continue with this, you would need to replace the jack assembly currently installed with a discrete ram and a seperate air / oil intensifier and seperate reservoir and a control valve, as the pump, reservoir and control valve are built in to the jack.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Skydiver40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done no problem. Harbor Freight used to carry the same lift with an air/ hydraulic cylinder, the manufacture still makes it. Discountramps.com carries them, you just need to order the air/ hydraulic cylinder which has a base plate on the bottle jack that mounts in the lift. It also has bottom controls on the jack so the foot controls work.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-table-lift.htm

Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Skydiver40
Advanced

I checked with Harbor Freight to see if they still carry the air/ hydraulic cylinder and they do, I am thinking of converting mine.

SKU# Part# Description Price (plus tax & shipping)
29739 01 94121 AIR/HYDRAULIC PUMP $95.77

Thank you for your email inquiry. The part you are looking for is one that we carry as a stock item. Unfortunately, you can not order it on our on the web site. You can, however, order this directly from the order desk by calling 1-800-423-2567. Please allow 8-10 business days for delivery. If you chose to send in a check, please ensure you include shipping and tax with the total cost. Our shipping rates can be located at www.harborfreight.com. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Skydiver40
I checked with Harbor Freight to see if they still carry the air/ hydraulic cylinder and they do, I am thinking of converting mine.

SKU# Part# Description Price (plus tax & shipping)
29739 01 94121 AIR/HYDRAULIC PUMP $95.77

Thank you for your email inquiry. The part you are looking for is one that we carry as a stock item. Unfortunately, you can not order it on our on the web site. You can, however, order this directly from the order desk by calling 1-800-423-2567. Please allow 8-10 business days for delivery. If you chose to send in a check, please ensure you include shipping and tax with the total cost. Our shipping rates can be located at www.harborfreight.com. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

I looked over the project you are considering.
Enerpac has a pump like that for about 6 times the price which I'm very familiar with, and I have that table lift, so I got some info for you.

That pump is a reciprcating pump driven by air, not real fast, it has two ports, one for air and one for hydraulic, the hydraulic pressure is controlled by the air pressure supplied, so you will need a regulator to protect your system from a potential 10,00psi. 25psi on the air supply will give roughly 2,500psi on the hydraulic side.

If I were doing the job I would remove the 12mm plunger rod, drill that hole slightly larger for a 3/8" npt taper pipe thread and install a fitting there.

In addition to the pump you will need;

air compressor
air hose with fittings
1/4" regulator with filter and luber
3/8"npt tap
37/64" drill
3/8"male npt - 3/8" male jic strait fitting
6 foot 1/4" hydraulic hose 2 ply, with 1/4"npt male - 3/8" jic female swivel ends

Looks fun, enjoy!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Skydiver40
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I am just going to keep the air/ hydraulic as it comes from the factory. Its ok with me if its slow, the foot pump is also slow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harbor Freight lift table conversion to air