Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin booked for the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Cabin booked for the Dragon

We did it booked a cabin for the dragon and all around that area.
I have never drove my bike out side of Michigan, this should be fun.
My Brother booked us for June 22 - 28th at 'Volunteer Cabin Rentals' in a 7 bedroom cabin they call the 'Magnificent 7.
The cabin sets about half way up Clabo mountain over looking Wears Valley not to far from Wears Valley Road some place around Sevieville Tennessee.
We will have 11 guys and bikes most are Harley's, with 5 Wife's or GF.
Got to admit I'm a bit excited about this trip.
If any one knows any thing about this cabin rental service or this cabin could you please let me know...Thanks.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 02-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

so many good rides in that area,any road that has pkwy or skwy in the name rocks.the dragon was my least liked ride,lots of leos,caught some of brpkwy,foothills pky,cherahola skwy and the us hwy through the middle of great smokey mountains national park,if ya get a day for nursing monkeybutt ,wheels through time museum in maggie valley or built more estates tour is good thats in ashville nc.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you do the Charahola Skyway while you are there.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
gringo1450
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
We did it booked a cabin for the dragon and all around that area.
I have never drove my bike out side of Michigan, this should be fun.
My Brother booked us for June 22 - 28th at 'Volunteer Cabin Rentals' in a 7 bedroom cabin they call the 'Magnificent 7.
The cabin sets about half way up Clabo mountain over looking Wears Valley not to far from Wears Valley Road some place around Sevieville Tennessee.
We will have 11 guys and bikes most are Harley's, with 5 Wife's or GF.
Got to admit I'm a bit excited about this trip.
If any one knows any thing about this cabin rental service or this cabin could you please let me know...Thanks.
Not sure about those cabins but thats a good area. If you head east out of there it will take you into the tourist trap area and traffic. Head west and you go thru townsend that will take you to the foothills parkway right over to the dragon. There is a short cut in townsend to the backside of gatlinburg which is the start of the park and the mountains without all the traffic. Great area you can get there faster by coming in through Maryville.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Don't forget Maggies Valley for the Wheels of Time Museum

Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like a pretty neat trip. Having a group like that will certainly add to the time.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Motorcycle heven....this may help
http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/

We go at quite a bit, only 300 miles from home....lots of great roads, must go to Bald River Falls off the Cherhola Shyway....also take the girls to the Apple Barn for supper...and The Old Mill Rest in Pigon Forge..and the Alamo Steak house in Gattlingberg....

Have great time, watch for traffic....lots of tourist not paying attention....be safe...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I went twice this past year...... Half your battle is finding and getting to your cabin. They up in the mountains on questionable roads, its was raining the days we arrived and it was one of the most challenging things I have ever done on a bike and that was just getting to the cabin. The dragon was fun, kinda over hyped but everyone on a bike should do it once. the skyway is awesome. When you get done there you will not find a straight road anywhere, you are pretty much on the dragon the whole time you are there..

Some tips I would recommend:

1) Leave early on the day you actually go to the Dragon. Depending on where your cabin is you could be an hour away from the actual Dragon.
2) When you get into town stop and get snacks and food "before" you get to the cabin because once you get all the way there you will not want to go back out
3) Visit all the dealerships down there, they all has pins that you can collect to make a big dragon pin.
4) Leave you cell phones at the cabin ( no signal at or near the actual dragon) If you have an emergency the police will have to radio out for you
5) On your way down stop at Wild Cat Harley in London, Kentucky. By far the nicest Harley I have ever been to. Super friendly and they have tons of info about all the routes in Tenn.
6) Watch out for semi's on the Gap......About got smoked by one myself. they drive on that road without any care for anyone or anything around them.

Last edited by usmc3468; 02-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are gonna have a blast...Hit Pigeon forge and let the ladies shop a little. Got to Cheorkee and Be sure and hit the moon shine 28. Work your way down south to a little town called HIghland NC. HW64 coming from the east into Highlands is a great ride also. sheer cliff on one side and rapids on the other. Great ride...but a can be a lot of traffic.
One caution...in Oct the wife and i were on our bike riding and past about 10 bikes at an intersection. The goup pulled out behind us and stayed back a ways from us. AS we got into the twistys on HWy64 coming in from the west, the group of bikes got closer and closer. They were very tight together.
I was looking for a place to pull off and let them go buy cause I do not like folks pushing me or do not want to hold them up and spoil thier fun. I take it on the safe side as being 500 miles from home is not a good place to crash and possibly hurt my wife or disable my bike.
Anyway...I was just ahead of them that I would lose site of them as I went around a curve. One curve we went around I lost site of them behind me and we heard metal scrapping the pavement and crashing sounds....well there is really no where to stop in those curves cause you will get run over by a cage or something so I kept going. We stopped as soon as there was a place to get out of the traffic and waited a few minutes to see if they came on. They did not. We went back a to check on them and did not meet them. They must have turned around and went back the way they came. But the road was scuffed up... I know some of those bikes went down in that curve. How many...do not know.
You need to be careful riding in groups around them blind curves...one person goes down...more will go down also.
Take it easy and enjoy the trip, do not risk your bike or your passenger on those curves...some of them at first do not seem to bad but some gets tighter as they go around.
Have a great time...and be safe.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
We did make sure it has a paved drive to the cabin, they said it has 1 real tight curve and the rest aren't to bad, that's what they told us anyway.
My self and 4 others have never drove in that area, but the rest of the guys have several times.
I will copy down the advice you have given me and show them to my bud's that's been there before.
Still would like to hear from any one that knows something about this cabin rental service we booked with...Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cabin booked for the Dragon