Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New for Road King: Independent control of passing lights

Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by TaterSaladonaRoadking
What a waste of $30. This ia 5 min mod
Once you get access to the wires, sure, but the way I see it, dont you have to take the nacelle off to get to what you need?

5 minutes would be ideal!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dh2683
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...n-untitled.jpg

Here is what I did years ago. Simple & save your 30.00 bucks.
ditto on that. Took longer to pull the headlamp out than it did to actually do the wiring. Very simple.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Is the yellow wire behind the headlight can?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

dh2683 Thanks, followed your diagram and saved the thirty bucks. Piece of wire , some solder and shrink tubing. Probably 45 min. YEAH FORUM MEMBERS!!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NELS
dh2683 Thanks, followed your diagram and saved the thirty bucks. Piece of wire , some solder and shrink tubing. Probably 45 min. YEAH FORUM MEMBERS!!
You Bet. Glad to help. Spend your 30.00 bucks on something fun.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by green53
I have a police glide, and the aux. lights aren't working, I guess the de-commissioning was only partially done. I'm not sure what switch is used on the cop bikes, I have a red button on the brake side that is for pursuit but it doesn't do anything right now. This $30.00 switch might be perfect for my bike.
I have an 09 FLHP and it came wired where I can run the passing lamps with either high or low beam. Not sure how this was done...next time I have the headlight out, I will check to see how the dealer did this.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to let everybody know, If you use this kit or do the wiring mod, If you forget to turn your aux lights off and switch the switch to accessory (to listen to the radio when parked for example), you will discharge the battery, and you could be stranded.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TomWoodgeard
Just to let everybody know, If you use this kit or do the wiring mod, If you forget to turn your aux lights off and switch the switch to accessory (to listen to the radio when parked for example), you will discharge the battery, and you could be stranded.
For the Aux toggle yes it's wired in a way that will go on when the ignition is switched to the Acc position, but the Spot light toggle only turns on when the ignition switch is set to the Ignition postion at least thats how it is on my 09 Road King. I have my Fog lights wired to the Acc toggle and I make sure I shut them off every time I shut the bike off for the reason you said, no big deal becomes a habit.

What I'm a little worried about is I run Fog lights, Electric clothing and I have side lights on my Tour-Pac when I add this connection and then with my high beam on is it going to tax the system? Then aqain I have yet to be in a situation where I could run with high beams on for any significant amount of time and I have LED rear signals and tailight to lighten the load.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I was going to post. I can't see dropping 30 bones when it's that easy...???

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Majic31
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'm IN...

Well here's my reasons for thinking the new part is a great idea, that I'm going to buy and install....

On my last 2 Ultras (and planned for my new Ltd) - I've used the Acc switch for the following -
1) Motolights (fork mounted)
2) Electra Glo Rail lights (saddlebags)
3) TourPak Spoiler light

SO... if I wire it up according to this diag. and use the Acc switch for the Aux lts....then when I don't want the Aux. lts - no problem - turn off the Aux lts switch and they go off.. but if I'm understanding all this - if I WANT the Aux. lts with the High beams - and I turn on the Acc switch - then I'm stuck having EVERYTHING on - the Motolights, the Rail lights and the Spoiler light WITH the Auxs. and the high beam...
I don't get to choose what I want on (which is the point of having separate switches, isn't it?) AND I'm not sure whether that one circuit can take the draw.

So for my limited mechanical abilities - and the desire to see it done right - the requirement of having to install a relay, and finding another power source that's switched with the Ign. in order to maintain the choice of what I want on, and what I don't -

I'm going with the HD part.

It's neat, it's clean, it'll be warranted by the dealer (install on new bike), it's transferable to my next bike, and I'm not relying on my limited mechanical skills to cut into my electrical system, all for the sake of saving $30.

Last edited by Majic31; 02-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New for Road King: Independent control of passing lights