Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT

Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
Blah blah blah. Why do so many try to compare a touring Harley to a BMW? Apples to oranges. If you want to ride America, from super highways to country back roads, in relative comfort and dependability, then Harley is the only choice. If you want to ride thru mud and rocks, and wear a glow in the dark nylon jacket with matching pants and Nancy Boy boots the the BMW is for you! How does a cool looking American icon even belong in the same conversation as a moped on steroids?
I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I was only passing on comments that may be of interest to some. I realize there are closed-minded people like Northwoodsz that only rider a Harley and make fun of others. I too ride a Harley but I am not proud of morons like Northwoods. I ride with people I like no matter whether they ride Harleys or other brands. To make fun of anyone who rides a BMW is akin to making fun of blacks, women, orientals, homosexuals, and others, and most folks have long gotten past those issues.

A K1600 Gt is a touring bike. It is not designed or capable of riding through mud or dirt. Unlike some closed minded individuals, I prefer to personally experience other bikes before deciding that a Harley is the right bike.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
BlueKite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
I was only passing on comments that may be of interest to some. I realize there are closed-minded people like Northwoodsz that only rider a Harley and make fun of others. I too ride a Harley but I am not proud of morons like Northwoods. I ride with people I like no matter whether they ride Harleys or other brands. To make fun of anyone who rides a BMW is akin to making fun of blacks, women, orientals,homosexuals, and others, and most folks have long gotten past those issues.

A K1600 Gt is a touring bike. It is not designed or capable of riding through mud or dirt. Unlike some closed minded individuals, I prefer to personally experience other bikes before deciding that a Harley is the right bike.
Nicely put. Each to their own

Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
molinoman
Intermediate

After owning two Gold Wings (2003 and 2006) there is a lot to like on that kind of ride. The stock stereo alone (on the 2006, 80 W/per channel X 4) is way better than the stock Harley stereo. Having said that a lot of Gold Wing riders (like Harley riders) are constantly looking at new types of speakers and amps to make it sound even better.

Since my wife doesn't ride with me (she's just not a riding person) I had considered the BMW 1600 GTL, haven't ridden one yet but I figured that for one up touring it would be pretty decent, but having followed the BMW boards...it appears that it is still a work in progress, fast, but may be too over engineered for it's own good.

My last two bikes have been Triumphs (2007 Rocket III 2300 (140 cu) Classic and a 2010 Thunderbird ABS 1700 (104 cu). Both bikes have been great, take on the road extremely well, are fast (Rocket 140 HP, Thunderbird 97 HP, Rocket Touring at 105 HP, Rocket Roadster at 146 HP), gobs of torgue (Rocket at 147...the Rocket Touring version at 150, the Thunderbird is at 115 the Rocket Roadster comes in at 163) and other than needing a better seat they ate up the miles with ease.

Which brings me as to why I am now looking at a Harley (2012 Road Glide Ultra more than likely). I've already mentioned the BMW, the Gold Wing, after missing a production year (2011) came back in 2012 with a disappointing amount of improvements (mostly cosmetic on the rear end and the seat)...still a fine touring machine but we (fellow Gold Wing riders) were expecting a totally made over bike. The Triumphs I really like but I miss the cruise control, the Tour Pak, the tunes. And now Harley starts to look better to me as it has all that and can be "modified" enough for me to overlook the stock low HP and torque that it comes with.

Apparently I will need to eventually beef up the suspension, "improve" the stock stereo system (boom audio with 8 speakers/with two tweeters and two amps, Stage 1 upgrade, exhaust upgrade along with Rush ceramic lined header pipes to take care of the heat and I should be happy entering the "world" of Harley Davidson.

I'm looking forward to it and this forum has been a great resource for info.

Dennis

Last edited by molinoman; 02-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Northwoods, were morons. Well I ride with guys that have Goldwings and other bikes and in that since to each his own. As far as excepting Homo's I never will. If they won't to be a abomination it's there buisness but I don't have to except it and will not. Excepting things that isn't right don't make it ok in my eyes. Riding a bike is another subject all together. Really doesn't matter what the bike is as long as you have fun. Just doesn't make alot of sense to come on a HD site and talk about other bike's though. I'm just say'n.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Hey Northwoods, were morons. Well I ride with guys that have Goldwings and other bikes and in that since to each his own. As far as excepting Homo's I never will. If they won't to be a abomination it's there buisness but I don't have to except it and will not. Excepting things that isn't right don't make it ok in my eyes. Riding a bike is another subject all together. Really doesn't matter what the bike is as long as you have fun. Just doesn't make alot of sense to come on a HD site and talk about other bike's though. I'm just say'n.
Yeah...isn't so cool how those lefty's IMMEDIATELY start to throw the race card out there. Seems to me this is a Harley forum, and if they want to talk about or ride other brands thats fine.... but they need to GO TO THE BMW FORUM to do it!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never owned a motorcycle that did not need the factory seat replaced with something more comfortable.

The thing that would scare me most about the BMW for a long distance touring bike is the much smaller dealer network in the event of a breakdown.

mikebaby

Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 461 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
To make fun of anyone who rides a BMW is akin to making fun of blacks, women, orientals, homosexuals, and others
WOW! I'm used to seeing this kind of BS spin elsewhere in these forums, but you seriously need a mental evaluation.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that would scare me most about the BMW for a long distance touring bike is the much smaller dealer network in the event of a breakdown.

mikebaby[/QUOTE]

I rode BMW's for years and never had to find a dealer for repairs so I never worried about a lack of one where I rode. If you think BMW dealers are scarce try owning a MotoGuzzi. Did that for a number of years also and you learn how to jerry rig a lot.

As for having a follow HD rider compare other brands I enjoy those posts. I have compared other brands before I traded my RK for the RGU. All bikes have good and bad points, but for me the HD brand is so easy to make them fit me that I staying with them.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 AM
BlueKite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
WOW! I'm used to seeing this kind of BS spin elsewhere in these forums, but you seriously need a mental evaluation.
Oh dear, the rednecks have arrived!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT