Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comparison. I like all bikes, and have owned most of them. I rode a Honda ST1300 as a commuter bike for 5 years, which was nice as far as the big alternator, adjustable windscreen, and loads of power. Trouble is, my right hand would go numb riding. Never happened on my Road King.
Big issue for the BMW is the maintenance costs and lack of dealer network. Also not keen on the single plate dry clutch. Over the road, no issue, but in the city, can be an issue. Our BMW police motors gobble clutches.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Mr frikken open mind, you hate Harley riders who dont like other bike brands, real open frikken mind man. You are a hypocrite. This is America, he can dislike anyone race color creed or bike brand he wants.

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
I was only passing on comments that may be of interest to some. I realize there are closed-minded people like Northwoodsz that only rider a Harley and make fun of others. I too ride a Harley but I am not proud of morons like Northwoods. I ride with people I like no matter whether they ride Harleys or other brands. To make fun of anyone who rides a BMW is akin to making fun of blacks, women, orientals, homosexuals, and others, and most folks have long gotten past those issues.

A K1600 Gt is a touring bike. It is not designed or capable of riding through mud or dirt. Unlike some closed minded individuals, I prefer to personally experience other bikes before deciding that a Harley is the right bike.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I grew up on dirt bikes in the late 60's and had some Yamaha's in the 80's. I kinda thought that the 1980 BMW R100 style bikes were cool. Saw one on e-bay that if I had a few grand to buy it I would just for nostalgia, but that's me.
I have always liked the old school knuckle head/shovel/pan HD's, that's just me.
If I had a boat load of cash- I'd have a bitchn man cave heated shop with a few of those
scoots in it-
I ride an HD because, it's just me.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Harley's but I am fortunate enough to have spent 16 days and 2100 miles in northern Italy, Sardinia and Corsica on a RT1200.

Total different ride and feel - the shifter was so subtle, instead of the reassuring clank into the next gear that is so familiar, I was unsure I had actually shifted - until I got to understand the difference in the RPM whine. The more rearward footpeg position was unsettling at first, but after two plus days, I have to say it was no less comfortable than my Harley's. Never did like the non-canceling turn signals, but that's minor.

We rode two up with a "top-case" as they call a Tour Pack, and my wife was just a comfortable as on my Road Glide - and believe me if that were not the case, I'd have known about it, and then some. Having that back support negates that passenger-forward lean you see in many photos. And even though the seat looks and its surface feels unfriendly, it was just as if not more so comfortable than any of my seats whether HD stock seat, or a Sundowner, or a Corbin.

Dampening of road noise was remarkable, way better than either my Fatboy or the RG, and leaning into turns with the radius of a soda can, turn after turn, hour after hour, day after day (sorry Tail of the Dragon, you are not even a fraction of one's days turns, much less eleven full riding days of non-stop turns). Here, the RT puts the HD to shame, with it's sheer quickness and ease of flipping the lean over and back again.

Rode the engine hard, harder than I would have pushed my own bike, constantly down-shifting to limit speed before getting into the turns, pushing it well above 4500 in second gear. Really glad it was someone else's bike...

With all this, I was aching to get home and back on my "Kids". And no, I have no interest in getting a BMW now or ever in the future. But it was a great experience on a different but in every way, a worthy bike.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Thanks cracker

I enjoyed your comparison. To me it doesn't matter what forum you post personal bike 2 bike opinions on. My friend is buying the GTL and will appreciate reading this.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

X100 !!!

Thank you for putting that so well
I hate those over-priced krout cans!!
The cars too !!!
I'm German (1/2) so I can say krout.

Originally Posted by VTL nut
+2...........

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
Blah blah blah. Why do so many try to compare a touring Harley to a BMW? Apples to oranges. If you want to ride America, from super highways to country back roads, in relative comfort and dependability, then Harley is the only choice. If you want to ride thru mud and rocks, and wear a glow in the dark nylon jacket with matching pants and Nancy Boy boots the the BMW is for you! How does a cool looking American icon even belong in the same conversation as a moped on steroids?
Thanks for saving me the trouble of saying this--I think if someone is even CONSIDERING the BMW as opposed to the Big Iron, then he should get the BMW,'cause he ain't Harley material.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My stepfather has a 1600GTL. It is a rocket ship. Handles great. He loves it and wouldn't own anything else. I enjoyed riding it. It's not my cup of tea. I don't like the look and the comfort. I had just gotten back from a 2000 mile weekend and I couldn't see doing that ride on that bike.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 462 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Thanks for saving me the trouble of saying this--I think if someone is even CONSIDERING the BMW as opposed to the Big Iron, then he should get the BMW,'cause he ain't Harley material.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why exactly would someone be "not Harley material" if they owned another bike? It amazes me how short sided, narrow-minded, and simple some people can be. Does it make someone like Harley's any less because they like and/or own another brand of motorcycle? The answer is NO it doesn't.

Enjoy your ride, and let others enjoy theirs, whatever make/model they ride.

mikebaby

mikebaby

Quick Reply: Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT