Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stablizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stablizer

I hope I describe this right. The round collar that the bolt goes through on the engine stabilizer has a small hole on the side. Can these be greased or oiled. My Street Glide is making a chirping noise and I have traced it to the stabilizer. Sounds like a bird. If I lay my finger on it, the chirping stops. So I am hoping this can be lubed. if so, what do I need to use. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ya may try some Triflow or graphite but heim joints are pretty much a replacement item when the they get galled or sloppy. Oh and check your motor/trans mounts.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 12-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Ya may try some Triflow or graphite but heim joints are pretty much a replacement item when the they get galled or sloppy. Oh and check your motor/trans mounts.
Thanks, I will try it. Hard to believed it would be wore out on a 2012 with only 16,000 miles.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
My bet motor mount is the cause of the problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Try spraying WD40 on it or into it.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It may be just dry. WD40 or a drop of oil will prove that one way or the other. If that works, remove the fixing bolt so you can rotate and lubricate the ball, with a decent grease.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

If its the stabilizer at the top front of the bike, make sure its not just loose at the frame attachment. Even if it feels tight with a torque wrench, there are many out there where the hole in the frame needs to be tapped out otherwise the bolt does not go all the way in tight. It feels like its bottomed but when you look at the stablizer link itself with the bike running you will see it moving slightly between the stabilizer link and the frame itself. Lay your hand on it at the frame attachment and you will also feel it moving and it will make noise until you push on it with your hand. It will also cause a buzzy vibration when not tightened all the way. Seems the factory either got powder in the holes or they were just shy of being fully tapped.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Good info, Ive had a similar noise for a long time and never considered checking these items.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

WD40 is not a particularly effective lubricant in my experience...it was originally designed to displace water & does that job well...on the other hand, Tri Flow IS a good lubricant, but I agree that if its the Heim joint chirping, lubing it is a temporary fix...suggest McMaster Carr as a good source for an upgraded replacement part...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Veekness
WD40 is not a particularly effective lubricant in my experience...it was originally designed to displace water & does that job well...on the other hand, Tri Flow IS a good lubricant, but I agree that if its the Heim joint chirping, lubing it is a temporary fix...suggest McMaster Carr as a good source for an upgraded replacement part...
You are right about WD40, however it quickly gets inside things and while still wet it will help diagnose if the heim joint is the source of the noise.

Quick Reply: Engine Stablizer