Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust change, and PowerVision Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust change, and PowerVision Tune Question

I just finished changing my exhaust from the stock headers to gutted OEM headers. I'm running Wild Pig slip ons, with the baffle wrap removed, but the standard baffle is installed. I've updated to the K&N/SE1 kit form FuelMoto, and also flashed with my PowerVision to the tune provided by FuelMoto.

I'm having a problem with the tune now, and not sure where to tweak or if something is wrong with my setup or ???. Once warm, the bike never settles on a calm idle... seems like she's always looking for idle, but never finds it... the low idle will drop to ~800 RPM and eventually will stumble pretty bad. Once she stumbles, the bike will surge up to about 1200 RPM for a few seconds, then try to settle again around the 1000 range before starting to drop down to the <1000 RPM area... I can also feel this change in RPM on the road while in the 2000/2600 RPM ranges... the motor surges a little. Otherwise, throttle response seems normal.

I have not had a chance to run the diag logging on the PowerVision... I tried yesterday, but dumb dumb shut off the bike before I turned off the logger... DOH.

Under the original tune, the bike is desperately lean... backfire/popping on decel... but doesn't seem to have the idle problem... because of the lean condition I am not using that tune... I am going to flash with the "Stock Enhanced" tune to see if that changes the idle problem...

Can anyone think of something that I could check, or did wrong? I followed the service manual to the letter for all removal/replacement of components, etc...

I'm using the original O2 sensors, replaced the necessary gaskets, and am still lost... (boy getting the rear bolt for the floorboard out was a huge PITA)

I have to admit to knowing nothing about what details would need changing on the PowerVision tune... that's why I'm asking here.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest calling Jamie at FM he'll set it straight with a different tune. I had to call after trying to flashing mine and he came right to the phone and helped me out and he was happy to do it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
I suggest calling Jamie at FM he'll set it straight with a different tune. I had to call after trying to flashing mine and he came right to the phone and helped me out and he was happy to do it.
Thanks and I will do that, didn't get a chance yesterday until well after business hours... just was doing a reality check before I did make a call...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you have to leave the 02 sensors disconnected as they are too close in that catless cavity area. Im running stock gutted headpipe with thunderheader and upgraded from PCV to PV and was advised to still elave the 02 sensors disconnected from side panel. Maybe double check with Jaime on that.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I think you have to leave the 02 sensors disconnected as they are too close in that catless cavity area. Im running stock gutted headpipe with thunderheader and upgraded from PCV to PV and was advised to still elave the 02 sensors disconnected from side panel. Maybe double check with Jaime on that.
Ah! I'll ask when I call today... thanks!