Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flhtp police seat information needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
Default flhtp police seat information needed

Does anyone make a kit to convert a stock flhtp seat so that you do not have to use the air ride on it. I am interested in a police seat for my 2010 Electra Glide but would like to eliminate the pump, lines and rear luggage rack. I know that mustang makes a set up but their seats look funny to me. They don't have springs and sit directly on the frame/seat pan.

thanks,
Tony

Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
king1065
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are threads on that subject on retiredpolicebikes.com. Type "kong" into the search feature. That mod involves using a "kong" dogs chew toy from walmart/petco or similar in place of the air bladder under the police solo seat. I used that on my 2011 Limited when I installed the police solo seat. Works for me so far...

Good luck

Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

On 2009+ bike it is possible to hide the tank between the rear wheel and right saddle bag:

More info here:
http://retiredpolicebikes.com/Forums...hp?f=38&t=1540

I am waiting for my tank and some other parts to come back from powder coating...hopefully they will arrive today.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought some guys were sitting the seat down on a tennis ball. I didn't like the way the seat looked, and the seating position was too upright for my liking, so I just got rid of mine.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

thanks for the replys. I have to be honest. when I read king1065's post I laughed at the thought of using a dog's chew toy. I pretty much dismissed the idea as one of those ridiculous internet solutions that everyone raves about but really never works. BUT......curiosity got the best of me and I found this thread:

http://retiredpolicebikes.com/Forums...hp?f=38&t=2280

Until H-D comes up with a better solution, this idea is excellent. I believe they will. Solo seats are all the rage right now and they don't have one for the touring models unless you want to use a tank. It's just silly. why they haven't offered an alternative yet is beyond me.

I just might start piecing together a police seat so I can give the kong a try. lol It's brilliant actually!

-Tony

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kong looks almost like a A frame bumper on my Truck. Or Spring bumper on my Jeep.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
garthj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Until H-D comes up with a better solution, this idea is excellent. I believe they will. Solo seats are all the rage right now and they don't have one for the touring models unless you want to use a tank. It's just silly. why they haven't offered an alternative yet is beyond me.
-Tony
HD does offer 3 solo seats, besides the police seat, at least for 08-09 and newer.

Attached Thumbnails flhtp police seat information needed-51700_09_m_23ed7.jpg   flhtp police seat information needed-52246_08_m_22d94.jpg   flhtp police seat information needed-52000057_m_27d1a.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Cage Dodger
Intermediate

I removed the air seat system, put fresh bumpers on the seat frame and let them sit right on the bike frame.

I ended up cutting the tab off the back of the seat frame just to clean up the look.

There's a little bit of give in the bumpers, but it's nowhere near as smooth as the air seat. It is about 2" lower, though.

The Kong looks interesting. I may have to get another seat frame and give it a try. Anybody have a seat frame they're not using?

PM me.

Cage

Last edited by Cage Dodger; 02-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM
09wideswing
Novice

Rather than the Kong, has anyone replaced the bladder with old-school 5" springs? would springs give more relief from the SHARP bumps than a bladder?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Originally Posted by garthj
HD does offer 3 solo seats, besides the police seat, at least for 08-09 and newer.
What I should have said is: Springer seats are all the rage right now. I like the seats you listed but they are not a pd/springer style. besides, you can buy a brand new take off pd seat for less then the 3 you listed. (although the brown one IS nice!)

Quick Reply: flhtp police seat information needed