Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??

Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
A harley can't weigh more than 900 lbs. A tandem is overkill even for an enclosed trailer. Also a single axle does NOT bounce more than a tandem. Nor does it sway more. And it doesn't add anything to safety either. But it does add to the cost. You'll need new tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of mleage. Two tires are cheaper than four tires. The only reason for two axles is to carry more weight. Much more weight.
^^^ Nope.

Get a dual axle, they DO ride smoother, the singles DO have a tendency to sway more, a tandem DOES add to the safety. You'll need new tires every 5-6 years with any trailer. I have a 12' Haulmark low hauler, it's an excellent towing trailer...and yes it does have tandem axles and needs it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hav a single axle 6x10 trailer

Attached Thumbnails Single or Dual axel trailer  for bike ??-trailer-for-motorcycle-005.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
rlaf75
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 7x10 closed single axle with brake and ive never had a problem hauling two bikes. it went to myrtle beach and back a few years ago with 2 bikes and a buddy is taking it to sturgis this year with 2 bikes in it.

Last edited by rlaf75; 02-14-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
A harley can't weigh more than 900 lbs. A tandem is overkill even for an enclosed trailer. Also a single axle does NOT bounce more than a tandem. Nor does it sway more. And it doesn't add anything to safety either. But it does add to the cost. You'll need new tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of mleage. Two tires are cheaper than four tires. The only reason for two axles is to carry more weight. Much more weight.
Second that, Plus here in Ontario in the "Great White North" you need an annual Safety inspection performed to renew your yellow safety sticker with tandem axle's Costing anywhere from $75-$189. Note: some people skip this

I as at the bike show here last weekend and looked at a 8x12 single for 3995.00 but passed on it for now

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
roborob
Advanced

Cmon wildviking your not stuck getting a trailer, think of it as MORE OPTIONS.I have a dual axle enclosed trailer , I dont use it often but its there. It has other duties too. Dont sound apolgetic about a trailer. congrats.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I go with dual axles and electric brakes for the handling and safety. I will only tow with weight equalizing hitch and sway bars. I have towed in the winds across the Dakotas and didn't even notice.

The best advice that I could offer is to understand the weight loading requirements of a trailer. 60% of the load in a single axle should be ahead of the axle and 70% ahead with dual axles.

Much of the swaying of any trailer is due to how it is loaded. I have been towing all sorts of trailers since the 70's and learned many lessons.

This is my current enclosed trailer a Haulmark 8.5 by 20 to haul three bikes and living accommodations.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
littlebear
Tourer

My single axle work just fine,pulled behind my 5th wheel, No Problems

Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
michaelnmississippi
Advanced

Double axle enclosed is great for bike gear storage. As well as hauling the bikes. I love trailering my bike on long trips to the mountains , at night when it rains I have a second option for transportation. Call me a puss if you like but at 53 I have chosen comfort over macho

Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Originally Posted by wildviking
I know I know but we want to take the bike behind the motorhome and do some traveling .. Would love to just be on the bike but hard to fit the dogs on a bike.. So stuck with getting a trailer .. So should I get a single or dual axle enclosed trailer????
Get the dual axle and get it a little longer than you need for the bike. You can use the front of the trailer for extra storage. Tools, build a bench, have a nice little portable shop.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
peippert
Novice

I have a Haulmark low hauler, dual axle with rubber torsion axles. A single definitely pulls easier. I got too good a deal to pass this Haulmark up, but it has a constant chop with the dual torsion axles. I use a weight equalizing hitch just to try to damp that out of it. Someone else had it right - sway is all in how it's loaded - insufficient tongue weight and the trailer will yank a vehicle all over the place. Only get dual axles if you need to haul weight, otherwise a single is just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??