Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
CAJUNMUDDER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
The opinions here vary from one extreme to another. The only reason to go with tandem axle is for weight capacity, period. They do not tow straighter or have less bounce etc.etc. They will wear tires much faster as they scrub around corners, especially in tight low speed turns. But the biggest pain is when trying to move them around without being hooked to a vehicle.
i agree with you on the tire wear and the moving while not hooked to a vehicle but if you think that a single axle doesnt bounce more than a tandem you have never pulled the two with the same load, if i load my commercial mower onto my single axle trailer with one strap across the front of the frame and take it to my sister in laws house to mow which i do everyweek that mower will have bounce into the side of the trailer by the time i get there, same mower same strap on the same roads on my tandem axle and it is sitting right in the middle where i left it just sayin

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM
firefightermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
Personally if going enclosed go dual axle even if for a single bike.
What he said. A dual axle is safer, simple reasoning if you have a flat you will have another tire more than likely still with air on that side. Ask me how I know. Don't have a bike trailer, but I have experience with my bassboat.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
I tow trailers every day for work. Here's the deal. Torsion axles are much smoother than springs whether its single or dual. Any trailer will bounce if its not loaded to at least half capacity. Heavier the better as far as the ride goes. Get a v nose trailer because it gets your bike closer to the tongue which is the smoothest part of the ride. Over the wheels will obviously be the roughest ride. A dual axle trailer will eat tires quicker because of the way they scrub laterally when making tight turns, but you get the advantage in case of a blow out that you arent stranded or forced to change a tire on the hwy. In my opinion, dual axles ride smoother and are more stable in crosswinds. Im sure there are "experts" in this forum that will argue, but Ive towed both extensively, and duals tow better. Sure you can push a single axle around more easily, but how often do you need to do that if you know how to drive with a trailer? If it were me, id get a dual, but either way, you do want to get torsion axles. Hope that helps.
I like your response...feels credible and not just opinionated. I am thinking about getting a trailer for the colder times of year when we want to head somewhere warmer...or just to be lazy about heading up to Canada, etc from Colorado.

What brand do you like? What should I expect to pay for a dual, enclosed, of high quality?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAJUNMUDDER
I own both single axle and tandem both 12ft, and there is no way im pulling my bike on the single axel it bounces way to much in my opinion its harder to back up and i would rather have that extra tire on each side to keep the trailer upright in the event of a blow out
Was going to say the same.....all left to do now is totally agree!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnden
I like your response...feels credible and not just opinionated. I am thinking about getting a trailer for the colder times of year when we want to head somewhere warmer...or just to be lazy about heading up to Canada, etc from Colorado.

What brand do you like? What should I expect to pay for a dual, enclosed, of high quality?

Thanks!
I made the mistake of buying the cheapest i could find, which was a US Cargo. Never again will i get anything they make. No way, No how. ( axle came loose 90 minutes into my first time using it. Bought it 3 hours away from me, so i just fixed it myself. Caulking job is crappy.Weather stripping is garbage. Just crap.....Must have been drunk when i bought this thing)

Was looking at this Neo last week...all aluminum, no screws on outside panels. Clean looking quality trailer and definitely on top of my list for my next trailer. dual axle!
Neo Classic Motorcycle Trailer

I think they are made in IN. USA

http://www.actiontrailers.ca/?page=motorcycle

Last edited by Pete6114; 04-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I fit two Softails into a 6x12?

Has anyone used the factory shipping tin off a new harley to strap there bikes down in a trailer? I've seen shippers use these...

Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving down the road and we pulled into a hotel. looked at the bike and trailer and one of the tires had disintegrated....all that was left was the rim. luck for me I have two axles on my trailer so when the tire blew...I didn't even nottice it. Had I had only one axle, I think the bike would have flipped. so if you cn spring for two axles. go for it. make sure your trailer tires are correctly rated for your speeds. low end trailers come with 2 ply tires which is only good for 55 miles per hour. then you have 4 ply tires that are good for 70 mph. then 6 ply which is good for faster than I would want to drive a trailer anyway. Don't go cheap on the trailer and tires.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

here is mine as of now... I've had a few.. dual axle is the way to go

I built the work area it also is a good place to store all my crap

I haul 4 bikes

I bought a basic trailer & installed & build them the way I want or need...I still need to paint the inside of it..

Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an enclosed tandem axle trailer with a 7000lb GWVR... may be overkill, but... I feel alot better knowing that if one tire should blow...

I have e-rails mounted to the floor, like the above poster... that works great.

Last edited by rushbass; 04-10-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:22 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Moore
here is mine as of now... I've had a few.. dual axle is the way to go

I built the work area it also is a good place to store all my crap

I haul 4 bikes

I bought a basic trailer & installed & build them the way I want or need...I still need to paint the inside of it..
What size is this trailer? I really like the way you have it set up...

Quick Reply: Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??