Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??

Old 02-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't have a bike hauler, but I've had lots of boat trailers. A two axle trailer is a lot nicer pulling on the highway, but a lot harder to back into a tight space.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
ho-hum.............I have a nice tandem 8x12 custom built trailer with chocks.............still sitting in FL as I haven't been down to get it yet...................and soos wasn't nice enough to bring it back for me when he just went
Cheap shot. Jet Blue wasn't too crazy about draggin' that thing back up here.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are going to haul a single bike, one of those 8 footers with a v-nose (single axle) might work. You have to have more than 8 feet of length to have an acceptable degree of room. Get the smallest trailer you can for obvious reasons. Dual axles do, however, reduce bouncing that you WILL have with a single axle trailer....the amount of bouncing dependent upon how well the bike is balanced in the trailer and the weight and geometry between the trailer and the hitch point on your pulling vehicle.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally if going enclosed go dual axle even if for a single bike.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

I trust that at this point paying tolls by the axle and twice as many tires when the time comes are just minor considerations. If the trailer will inherit carrying more than just the bike though, go big, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
wildviking
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info thinking about 2 axles as I have heard better ride for the bike

Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you were pulling it behind a truck I would say single axle. But since you are pulling behind a motorcoach I would get a duel axle.

The reason for this is if your pulling a single axle behind a truck and there's a problem you know it almost instantly and can take what ever action is needed. This is due to the weight of the pulling vehicle verse the weight of the trailer. Plus you can pretty much see the trailer behind the truck.

The same single axle trailer behind a motor coach will not effect the tow vehicle nearly as bad and also it is harder to see. So you could have a problem and not realize the problem as quickly and have server damage before you realize it.

With a tandum it is going to pull better plus if you loose a wheel the trailer is not on the ground.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM
cdroundy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest getting a dual with brakes. Yeah the trailer even with 2 bikes is not that heavy it's great to have them as an extra safety precaution. I have found at times a good cross wind will get a trailer swaying and a tap on the trailer brakes stops it right away.

Oh and get a good controller, that will work in reverse. Mine does and it was the best upgrade I ever did. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

A harley can't weigh more than 900 lbs. A tandem is overkill even for an enclosed trailer. Also a single axle does NOT bounce more than a tandem. Nor does it sway more. And it doesn't add anything to safety either. But it does add to the cost. You'll need new tires every 5 to 6 years regardless of mleage. Two tires are cheaper than four tires. The only reason for two axles is to carry more weight. Much more weight.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a single axle boat trailer and a tandem axle landscape trailer.
Tandem pulls better, no sway, no bounce and despite what some here say it is easier to back up, single axles react quicker but that is not necessarily a good thing. I pull the tandem almost every day in the summer and I could parallel park it. If I was buying a trailer for a bike I would only buy a tandem.
I read a lot here about it being sacrilege to tow your bike anywhere. I haven't towed mine but I would like to see some of these tough guys ride from here in Canada to Daytona in February.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single or Dual axel trailer for bike ??