Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop in lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drop in lowering kit

I an tearing my bike down next week for bars, system and chrome lowers. I trying to find out about the progressive drop in lowering kit for the front. Anybody have the pros and cons on it? Hows the ride on it out am I wasting money on it? This is all for 2011 street glide

Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Im not a fan of the Drop In Lowering Kit . It works by creating a measured amount of spring sag in the front end, the problem i have with it is the more you want to lower it the less preload on the springs and the bikes that Ive ridden are a little more spongy in the front than bikes that have been lowered by using a traditional kit that reduces the lower leg travel bu shorting the dampers. Progressive makes the other lowering and since you are changing out the lower sliders for chrome its not any more work.

But IMO if you want to lower it and improve the front suspension buy the Progressive Monotube Kit they are available in stock, 1" and 2" lower and will greatly immprove the suspension . They can be found at Direct Harley Parts, Phatperformance or USMotoman for about $ 239.00 so for less than $ 140.00 more than the Drop In Kit you can lower and improve the quality of the forks.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the Progressive Monotubes

Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, I will look into the mono tubes

Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Man this don't sound to good for me.
I bought the drop In Kit last Summer and I'm going to install this spring. I lowered the rear 1" about 5000 miles ago on my 11 RK so I wanted to bring the front down about 3/4" to bring it more in line with the rear.
Last year when I read up on them most of the guys seem to like the kit, I take it over the last year some have come to not like it so much.
I will watch for up-dates on this Thread.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm about to install the drop in lowering kit today. I did some research and fond some guys still like the kit. I now have the head lights and bars off so I can see the top of the forks.
from what I see it looks like a big pain in the a$$ to get the springs out. I did this on a friends Sportster and it was easy compared to my RK.
Isn't there a way of getting the fork springs out so I don't need to take the front end completely apart?

slammed05fatty, did you get yours done?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I used the drop in kit from progressive. I lowered the front 1 1/2 " and used the heavy fork oil. Not at all spongy and doesn't dive down on a hard stop either. It is a fairly stiff ride though.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i searched for a video or step buy step photo guide for removing the RoadKing nicel and doing the drop in swap on the RoadKing with out completly disassembling the forks like GPHDXLC mentioned above.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I have used the drop ins for a year NO complaints. It does not take much searching to find mono tube complaints if you have springs/ drop ins in hand not much to lose in trying them.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
Im not a fan of the Drop In Lowering Kit . It works by creating a measured amount of spring sag in the front end, the problem i have with it is the more you want to lower it the less preload on the springs and the bikes that Ive ridden are a little more spongy in the front than bikes that have been lowered by using a traditional kit that reduces the lower leg travel bu shorting the dampers. Progressive makes the other lowering and since you are changing out the lower sliders for chrome its not any more work.

But IMO if you want to lower it and improve the front suspension buy the Progressive Monotube Kit they are available in stock, 1" and 2" lower and will greatly immprove the suspension . They can be found at Direct Harley Parts, Phatperformance or USMotoman for about $ 239.00 so for less than $ 140.00 more than the Drop In Kit you can lower and improve the quality of the forks.
+! on this. I put a set in my old Dyna same problem. Not sure on the other kits.

Quick Reply: Drop in lowering kit