Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week

My bud and I ride to bike week every year, it's kind of a tradition. We've been so much that lately we've started staying in St. Augustine and riding back and forth to Daytona to save a few bucks on a room and have a nicer room to boot. This year bike week has been pushed back a week, this should insure better weather but there will probably be a lot more spring breakers in town. Instead of spending much time in Daytona we've decided to knock the ride to Key West off our bucket list this year and just spend an afternoon or so in Daytona. Does anyone have any suggestions for "must do" things in Key West.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyman1340
My bud and I ride to bike week every year, it's kind of a tradition. We've been so much that lately we've started staying in St. Augustine and riding back and forth to Daytona to save a few bucks on a room and have a nicer room to boot. This year bike week has been pushed back a week, this should insure better weather but there will probably be a lot more spring breakers in town. Instead of spending much time in Daytona we've decided to knock the ride to Key West off our bucket list this year and just spend an afternoon or so in Daytona. Does anyone have any suggestions for "must do" things in Key West.
Actually, we are doing something similiar. Gonna stop a a spring training game, head south to the Everglades and possibly work our way into the Keys. We will stop by Daytone on the ride back north.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
dwg1956
Tourer

Key West....Hogs Breath Saloon, Sloppy Joes, there are clothing optional bars on Duval St. Great food everywhere, take your gold card and don't mess with the hundreds of chickens running everywhere. A day trip to the fort at Dry Tortugas is always fun but the best part is the 150 mile ride over the islands to key West

Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't go early enough the trip from Miami to key west is just as long as the trip from daytona to Miami. On the way back from key west to Miami was only 1.5hrs. Then the 3 or so from Miami to daytona.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

I did the Key West thing for 3 years in a row. The ride to Key West is interesting. Lots of things to see. Once there though I wasn't impressed. Problem was that Duval St got kinda boring after a day of walking around. It's mostly shops with lots of tourist stuff to sell. There's really no place to ride once you're there. It's just not very big. Everything is super expensive, especially the rooms. Go there once just to do it.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ThaGlyde
If you don't go early enough the trip from Miami to key west is just as long as the trip from daytona to Miami. On the way back from key west to Miami was only 1.5hrs. Then the 3 or so from Miami to daytona.
Thanks for the tip, this really isn't a vacation, just a bucket list thing. We plan on spending the night in Florida City, then heading to KW early in the morning because of the traffic, will spend a couple nights in KW and head back to Daytona, glad to hear the trip from KW to Miami isn't as bad as the trip down. Maybe we'll get to spend more time in Daytona before heading back home.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
lazmorph
Advanced

My favorite thing I did was ride down the strip in Key West setting off all the car alarms. I realized it by accident, pretty humorous none the less.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

On your way out of Miami on US 1, look for Card Sound Road and have lunch at Alabama Jack's:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...s_Florida.html

Nice change of pace ride and excellent "old Florida" eating spot.

Carl

Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

When you get on US1 to KW, you're gonna love the ride. Take your time and do 40mph or under. It's 35mph most of the way but all bridges and islands.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week