Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Sundowner vs. Stock

2005 Road King Custom. I have a Mustang wide touring on there now and it is super comfortable but I feel like I'm sitting up waaaaay too high.

When I put the stock seat back on it puts me back down where it feels like I belong but that seat is just not very confortable.

I see lots of people that say the Sundowner is the way to go but want to make sure that it's not just another "stock seat".

Anyone that has traded out their stock for a Sundowner, can you describe any differences you feel between them?

Appreciate the input.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the sundowner is far more comfortable than either the stock street glide or ultra classic seat. The angle on the back portion is different. Also, although the measurements are similar in width...I feel like I have a lot more seat under me. That spreads the weight out better.

But bottom line is...everybody's backside is a little different. Harley has a seat loaner program. I'd recommend finding a dealer that has one you can borrow for a ride. That's the only way you can be sure.

The following users liked this post:
crabio (08-09-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Most HD dealers have seats available for you to demo. My dealer let me demo a Sundowner seat for a few days before I Purchased mine.

crabio (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:44 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by crabio
2005 Road King Custom. I have a Mustang wide touring on there now and it is super comfortable but I feel like I'm sitting up waaaaay too high.

When I put the stock seat back on it puts me back down where it feels like I belong but that seat is just not very confortable.

I see lots of people that say the Sundowner is the way to go but want to make sure that it's not just another "stock seat".

Anyone that has traded out their stock for a Sundowner, can you describe any differences you feel between them?

Appreciate the input.

i hated my Sundowner. It was putting weird pressures... I thought I was as getting a hernia. I would recommend goin and getting a loaner from the dealership and ride on it for 100 or so miles

crabio (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

tried out a sundowner at my local hd. about a 20 minuter ride and i was already getting sore. i'm sure the seat was from '09 and had several hundred hours on it. i live close to mean city cycles. that's what i'm going to do about my seat.

crabio (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

I have an '09 Streetglide and use a Sundowner for trips. It feels like it's 1" wider for the rider. Both in the butt and the front when you put your feet down. But the much taller passenger section gives you a lot of lower back support. The passenger area is over twice as wide and about 3" taller and flat on top. It's a much better seat for the passenger. Going down the road it's a slight improvement for the rider.

crabio (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:34 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Very comfortable. I have one on my 03 and my 15. I can do 1000 miles if need be. Easily can do 600 mile days with them.

crabio (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As others have said do the seat demo. I can say from experience that I have used both a sundowner solo years ago on a yna and a rider/ passenger seat on a RG ultra, a RG special and I kept the seat and it's now on a 2012 tri glide . I can say that myself and wife both like the seat as her stock seat was starting to wear out some causing some pain for us both. The sundowner has worked for me/ us. Again do the seat demo. costs nothing but very few mins. to replace it.

crabio (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

My 2011 RKC original seat was fine with me, but my passenger HATED the rear seat for Her. We later went with the Sundowner, and for me it was the same in the front, but was much more in the rear for the passenger. A few years after reading all the praises of Mean City Cycles, I had them do their foam and super narrow seat mod. It was fine before, but even better after.
Just for kicks a year or so ago, I stopped by the dealer and tried out the Hammock seat, with the little compressor set up, and rode it around a couple of days or so. I was NOT impressed. Plus, I read about some issues with the compressor that could lead to some hassles.
Anyway, those are my observations of the stock/sundowner observation. And, I also recommend the dealer loaner seat deal. They did not press me in any way about getting it back in a hurry. They wanted me to take some time with it.
Good luck!

crabio (08-10-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I have had the street glide stitch sundowner since 2010 and riding 2up we are both comfortable. recently went 3 hours nonstop and found soreness from the seated position but not the seat.
Mind you we were sitting on the new Ohlins from Motorcycle metal. Before removing the air shocks and installing the JRI's we had butt hurt.
I am saying seat alone is not enough if you want comfort

crabio (08-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Sundowner vs. Stock