Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Toy Hauler for Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...I had over $80,000 in the truck and camper new...still got the truck. It is a 2006 Super Duty Diesel 4x4 - 4 door lariet with 56k miles on it now
Now add all the stuff you need to camp, hoses, barBQ grill, outside chairs, and hauled 3 hot rod motocross bikes in it with a small fortune in parts to get them back up if the kid crashed.

But I believe it was worth every penny. That boy spent his weekends and every spare minute he had at the track with his parents for many years. (his choice) No drugs, no in trouble wiht the law, no gang banging, no tickets.

We can do a lot of traveling on that much money.
I will probably wind up with a nice tandem cargo trailer at some point...now we are riding it most every where. 9000 miles since August 28th.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_Glide
I wouldn't mind getting one, but don't have the money right now.

But, I DO HAVE THE TRUCK TO PULL IT WITH.........
Yes you certianly do have the truck already. Sharp truck.
I just hope the fuel don't go up where none of us can afford to drive those nice trucks, with what is going on in the MidEast now.

Thank you for your service to our country...

Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm having a hard time understanding your dilema...the bike in this picture is way smaller than a RK. I think the family should man-up!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a Keystone Raptor Tow behind. I bought it because we wanted to do the family camping thing, But I wanted to be able to use it for going to the rallies too. So I have had my Raptor for about 4 years now and still use it all the time. We go on regular family vacations with it (without the bike) and then I also use it to go to Sturgis (3 x now) Laconia etc. I can get 3 big bikes in mine. It cost much less to stay in a campground in Sturgis/Laconia than a hotel. I think it was about 500 for the 14 days last year. Then I divided the by 3 friends that went, pretty cheap. It also makes for a base camp. The down side is bringing all that stuff out with you, having the correct truck to pull it and for me the cost of diesel fuel to go to these places. Sturgis last year was 1700 bucks in diesel fuel round trip. My next trip out to Sturgis I plan on riding and tent camping. I may ship out some gear to the campground. But as far as owning it, yes I still like it and it doubles for family vacations. Just look at the entire picture, reg fees, tires, maintenance, right sized tow vehicle, then all the "stuff" you will need to outfit the rig like cookware, grill, chairs, etc. It basically becomes a 2nd home. We are always saying in the house if we need something.. "go get the one out of the camper". But I can say after the initial investment and all is done it makes for some real nice trips. This link will have lots of info for you. I use the forums here all time. http://www.rv.net/

hope this helps Jeff

Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by piesik650
work and play by forest river RV they are awesome. I will own one by the end of the year.
I bought one these (28 ft.) in 2007. The pic below was one I looked at, but I bought another one "slightly used" at a much better price and it had many more options. The optional ONAN generator only had 40 total hours of use.

The only point I'd add for this Toy Hauler is that one really needs at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull it and a low to medium axle ratio would be preferred, too. I pull mine with an F350 DRW diesel with a 4:1 axle ratio.

They are really great toy haulers for their size and if you look around hard enough you can find them slightly/barely used at half the price of what a new one cost. You'll enjoy yours when you get it, I'm sure.

Name:  28BR.jpg
Views: 3215
Size:  57.0 KB

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Here are a few pics of my 2010 MXT, it's a great little camper. I was limited by truck size at the time, but I crashed that truck a couple of weeks ago and picked up my new Ford F250 diesel yesterday, it's just begging for more of a challenge.

Attached Thumbnails Best Toy Hauler for Harley-60176-0e1.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-60176-0e5.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-09mxt20.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-60176-0i2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 PM
larry69fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Forest River Work & Play

Attached Thumbnails Best Toy Hauler for Harley-321289_1830525857323_7089426_n.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Do what you want, but this is just a suggestion. Look around for a good used toy hauler. There is a good deal out there to be had, but you have to be patient and search for the right one, plus a prime mover (truck). We searched for over a year for the right deal on the truck and trailer. We have $36,000 into a truck (2008 F350) and trailer (2006 Raptor 3914), that if bought new would have been $130,000. We had a 25 ft toy hauler, but we wanted something bigger. The deals are out there, just take it slow and get the right one. It will be an enjoyable experience for you and the family!

Attached Thumbnails Best Toy Hauler for Harley-2006raptor.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-2008-f350.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 AM
SlagleRock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'd definitely like to stick to one that is 1/2 ton towable. I already own the truck outright so I'd like to avoid another payment. I figure the right/weight size, electronic brake control and a weight distributing hitch and I should be OK. My truck is rated to and geared to tow 10K lbs.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Look for a used toy hauler that is within the weight limits of your truck to pull otherwise you will be need a new truck /tranny real soon. Find a nice used one (or new if you prefer) but remember even if the company is out of business, (many went under in the last 2 yrs) all the main components are used by mostly all the company's to build them. Even if you had issues the parts are still available to repair them. Most of the factory warranty if for structural. The refridg, hot water heater, awning, etc are all parts that have or had there own individual warranty as well. They do get a lot heavier as you get bigger and bigger. of course that leads to a bigger truck, its a endless cycle. good luck. Jeff

Quick Reply: Best Toy Hauler for Harley