Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Prospect
Default Cruise Control not working

I have an 07 Street Glide that I just put new handlebars on. Everything is working except my cruise control. I have checked the continuity and I have that from switch to plug. I have also set the throttle and idle cables exactly like the manual says. I have also tried the cruise control lashing procedure and the light is red but never turns green. Does anyone have any advice from where to go next. All help would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Road Warrior

Check to see if the brake light is on steady, or triggers with almost no brake lever movement. If the front brake light switch got damaged during reassembly, it will, in effect, tell the cruise you have started to brake and disconnect the cruise before it ever "latches on".
Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Club Member

Pinched wire, fugged up the brake switch, or something along those lines is what you'll find especially having done a bar swap.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Prospect

The brake switch seems to be working properly. The brake light is not on until I pull the lever. Is there any thing I can do to check the switch.
Dawg I checked the continuity from the switch to the plug and I do have continuity. If a wire was pinched wouldnt it not have continuity? Just asking. Same as before is there any way just to check the brake or the clutch switch?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Prospect

Alright with a little further investigation and knowing what to look for looks like the brake switch is messed up.It seems to trigger with very little movement. I took the lever off and it looks like the rubber boot has been torn. Do I need to replace the brake switch or is there a fix to it?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&RSGLIDE07 View Post
Alright with a little further investigation and knowing what to look for looks like the brake switch is messed up.It seems to trigger with very little movement. I took the lever off and it looks like the rubber boot has been torn. Do I need to replace the brake switch or is there a fix to it?
You can either replace it (those buggers are pretty expensive now) or you can try fixing it using the set screw trick. If you search on here using set screw and brake switch in the search terms you should find a few that have done it and made it work.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Club Member
Default This link should be bookmarked...

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine...and-codes.html

"Rocket Science" is not given to a single person, it can only exist through sharing of expertise between Qualified Professionals from all trades.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Prospect

I am absolutely lost now I have replaced the brake switch and soldered a new one in. I pulled the wiring out of the handlebars to do it to make sure nothing was pinched. The red light for the cruise is on but the green light never comes on and the cruise does not set. What can I check from here?

I forgot to say Expat1 put a link to the diagnostic codes and how to get them. I did try this and I push the resume/set switch in turn the ignition on and the red light does not come on or flash anything.

I really do not want to take it in to the dealer but I have no idea of what to check from here.

Last edited by S&RSGLIDE07; 02-26-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Prospect

You can also test the switch functions:

Easiest way to check all dropout fucntions of your cruise control.

1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red

whichever switch does not turn the light green, is your bad one.

if light will not turn green at all and you have followed ALL directions and tried multiple times, your set/resume switch is bad.

If light stays green even after releasing set switch, one of the dropout switches is stuck closed, usually the roll off throttle switch. unplug this and try again.

I tried the above diagnostic check and the light never turns green. I guess that means my switch is bad.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Prospect

I had all the same symptoms after changing my bars out. It ended up being a bad switch. I think I damaged the switch pressing the switch cap back on and pushing too hard on it......
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM

P