Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle By Wire...???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle By Wire...???

In looking to upgrade the bars and add heated hand grips to my 2011 Road Glide Custom, I've learned that my bike has Throttle By Wire (TBW). Can anybody give me an Elementary School level explanation of TBW? I'm also curious what existed before TBW.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

TBW is a potentiometer basically stuck in the end of your bars that sends a signal to your scoot. and before that there were Cables like your clutch has.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, I am pretty good at elementary stuff. TBW has replaced "throttle by cables". Some guys really don't like the TBW for reasons they can explain. My 2010 has TBW and I love it. I have had two previous HDs with traditional throttle cables, and I prefer the TBW.

The TBW system has a sensor in the grip that sends a signal (via a wire) to an interpretive unit called a throttle control actuator attached to an induction module that in turn ultimately manipulates the fuel injection system. This is what makes you go vroooooooom...

My 2010 Ltd came with heated grips, but I didn't like the stockers, so I upgraded to the Harley Chrome and Rubber heated grips. That change required that I purchase a new grip sensor assembly. It was installed by HD and has given me no problems so far.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Tek74
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Well, I am pretty good at elementary stuff. TBW has replaced "throttle by cables". Some guys really don't like the TBW for reasons they can explain. My 2010 has TBW and I love it. I have had two previous HDs with traditional throttle cables, and I prefer the TBW.

The TBW system has a sensor in the grip that sends a signal (via a wire) to an interpretive unit called a throttle control actuator attached to an induction module that in turn ultimately manipulates the fuel injection system. This is what makes you go vroooooooom...

My 2010 Ltd came with heated grips, but I didn't like the stockers, so I upgraded to the Harley Chrome and Rubber heated grips. That change required that I purchase a new grip sensor assembly. It was installed by HD and has given me no problems so far.
Excellent explanation. I get it. Thank you.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
diddydido
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it only the touring models that have TBW???

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
marion
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had a problem with mine.
I looked at the heated grips thing. From other posts they say its not as good as heated gloves, which also warm the tops of your hand. I guess it depends on how cold you get...

Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe

not wanting to get hyper critical or overly technical, just an fyi, the throttle grip (switch) sends the signal to the ecm, and the ecm drives the actuator. don't want to forget the brain. the throttle actuator is a motor that only drives the butterfly. it also has a air temp sensor built into it that also sends signal to ecm. the ecm controls all signals coming in

Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

elementary my dear Watson elementary.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Throttle by wire

I know this an old issue, but today I was riding in the mountains and my throttle quit working, I could not rev. I shut the bike down for a few seconds and cranked it back up and the throttle was working again. It happened again about 40 miles later. No throttle response. I pulled of the HWY onto the grass and shut her down. Luckily when I cranked it back up the throttle worked again and I was able to make it home. Question #1 Has anyone else had this problem? #2 How did you fix it? I would really hate to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere and this not fix itself. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tbw

Have you ever changed the handlebars or the switch housings...Pinched wires are easy to come by...

Quick Reply: Throttle By Wire...???