Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p&a fuse blows blows blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
redwing67
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry p&a fuse blows blows blows

recently had some starting issues after replacing battery and starter, relays bike starts BUT now have no driving lights or aux lights but all others work turn, brakelights, I am at a point of frustration checked lights they work out of bike on bench. ok once i turn ignition on the p&a fuse blows with the lights hooked up it doesnt blow without them hooked up!! i have ol girl taken apart in a thousand pieces so any help would be easy to do lol i am at the end of my rope before i take it somewhere i have a 2007 streetglide with some mods but none recently this started after battery issue thanks brothers and sisters

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Two different fuses control everything you mentioned.

The P&A fuse goes to your Acc switch and cigarette lighter.

The Accessory fuse is for your running lights.

Turn off your Acc switch and unplug anything in cigarette lighter, then check both fuses. Then turn on ignition without Acc switch on, and recheck fuses.

If they are still good do it again with Acc switch on.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Both fuses should be 15 amp.

What is hooked up to the Acc switch?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

The reason you had a battery issue in the first place could be the aux lights having this draw on the battery in the first place.

Get some fuses....take out both passing light bulbs and insert a new fuse. If I recall correctly I remember taping some leads in the passing light housing because I didn't like what I saw from the factory. There was a hot lead that could ground out on the inside of the housing if not positioned right. I forget exactly what caught my attention but I would start looking in the passing light housings.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the passing lamp hot wire. When I replaced the sealed beam units with halagon bulb units the hot wire had started to chaffe against the housing where it came into the lamp. I suspect beause it was very tight with almost zero slack. Put additional tape on it and pulled the wires through a little bit.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the above replies. Also check your wires for frayed or cracks heading into the fused area. I've seen cross ciruit scenarios short out like you are reporting. It also might be in the wires in the ignition switch area.