Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take to change out OEM Forks with Chrome ones

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long does it take to change out OEM Forks with Chrome ones

I want to changed out the forks on my 2012 FLTRX and was wondering how many hours it takes to do it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine done at a local shop, I think it was like a 6 hour job for someone who knew what they were doing. I know it cost more for labor than the chrome front end itself but if you could do it yourself it would be big savings. It would obviously be quicker on a bike with no fairing.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get your parts together and set the better part of a Saturday aside to get started and finish. It's not difficult...but it sure is messy! Be careful with the allen bolts at the bottom of the fork tubes...they can be a bitch! Replace the tube seals with fresh ones...you need something to hold the fork tube stationary when you're removing the cap. You can use the triple trees to hold the tubes if you know what you're doing, but that can be mighty dangerous when that spring pops loose (don't ask me how I know that)! I use a tube holder made by Jim's Tools bolted to my lift...works very well for me! You need something to measure fluid when you go to put everything back together. Did I say that this is a messy-assed job?

Good luck!

Steve

Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,394 Likes on 21,384 Posts

You can do the chrome exchange w/ outfits like ***** Shiney. (1st class)
I bought Steve's (SCJE8 the post above me's cans and lowers) and sent them to exchange to save some down-time.

While you're in there, get rid of them springs and get something like the Progressive monotubes.
You'll thank yourself the first time you go for a ride w/them. Trust me.

You'll have as good or better quality chrome and it will be made in America,
will be cheaper and not out-sourced to communist countries that rely on prison or dissident labor does like China.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you have an impact for the allen at the bottom of the forks. Make a fork seal tool out of PVC. Make sure you have a seal kit. An extra set of hands really helps. The motion pro fork oil level tool is helpful. You add oil then set the oil height. Service manual is a must. I think it took me about 3 hours the first time because I was being really careful and referring to the manual often. I did a set with a buddy on his bike and we finished in about 1.5 hours. Its not a hard job.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

as a side note on the progressive monotubes, once you do install them, you no longer have any service on the front end( replacing fork oil) and the ride is soooo much better!

the allen on the bottom is a 6mm not sae don't try anything else, you'll strip it and then the fun really begins

Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesnt seem too bad.......I am waiting on some cash to do the progressive monotubes and chrome lowers my self.....here are some threads that will help you if you decided too tackle it your self.

later
John

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...-write-up.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...p-updated.html

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 on the monotubes. Best mod I've done to my bike (2011 Ultra Classic)

I just completed the job within the past couple of days.There were no surprises. Work one side at a time. Lots of folks say you need the impact for the 6mm plug in the bottom of each fork but I had no problem getting it out even off the bike. But when I do it again I'll loosen those plugs before removing the forks. I also had to buy a 1 3/8 wrench at TSC (about $13) for the cap bolts.
Service manual is a must.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
gsartin
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little hint. Break the bottom allen bolt loose while the front fender is still on and before you remove fork. This take away alot of problems you may have with the bolt.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine in about 3 1/2 hours. I have a pdf file with step by step and photos I can email you but is to big to post on here. PM me email address and I will send it to you.

Quick Reply: How long does it take to change out OEM Forks with Chrome ones