Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF amp wiring, need help

Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RF amp wiring, need help

I'm mounting my winter project, an RF amp with 6,5" speakers in fairing and lowers. I'm using a Pioneer head unit.
My question is how do i wire all this stuff for running 4 speakers in front and 2 in TP?
I will use RCA for the amp but 1 or 2 RCA set (got 3 on HU)?
could i use rear speaker wire direct from HU to connect my TP speakers?
Please help me to enjoy my new amp.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pit1600
I'm mounting my winter project, an RF amp with 6,5" speakers in fairing and lowers. I'm using a Pioneer head unit.
My question is how do i wire all this stuff for running 4 speakers in front and 2 in TP?
I will use RCA for the amp but 1 or 2 RCA set (got 3 on HU)?
could i use rear speaker wire direct from HU to connect my TP speakers?
Please help me to enjoy my new amp.
You could run the front 4 speakers in series (2 per channel).

Running them in parallel will cut the impedence down next to nothing, and may cause issues for the amp.

Running the tour pak speaks from the head unit, and the 4 fronts from the line level (RCA) to external amp should work fine (if your HU allows this configuration).

Depending on speaker impedence and amp load capability (check documentation) should determine series or parallel configuring the front speaks.

Post model #'s of amp and head unit and we can draw a picture with your speaker set up.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

the amp is 4 ohm only,best to run 4 speakers from the amp,u can run 2 per channel in series,but then half the power to each speaker,I've found it sounds better with one per channel.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike is down doing upgrades at a buddies home shop, next to mine is a SG upgrade, this guy has the new speakers in the lids, awsome!
He has a RF for the fairing speakers, and the lower fairing speakers, which leaves out the lid speakers for using the amp.
He purchased a second RF amp and is installing it to run the rear lid speakers, I can't wait to see how this one is going to workout?
Man, did I mention this SG is Awsome!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
You could run the front 4 speakers in series (2 per channel).

Running them in parallel will cut the impedence down next to nothing, and may cause issues for the amp.

Running the tour pak speaks from the head unit, and the 4 fronts from the line level (RCA) to external amp should work fine (if your HU allows this configuration).

Depending on speaker impedence and amp load capability (check documentation) should determine series or parallel configuring the front speaks.

Post model #'s of amp and head unit and we can draw a picture with your speaker set up.
I've got RF PBR300x4 amp and RF speakers, same set as sold by Bagger Nation. My problem is that i have 3 line level in head unit (Pioneer DEH P7000UB), one front, one rear and one for sub.
I connected my speakers (fairing and lowers) to output of the amp. Do i have to connect 2 RCA (front and rear) or only 1?
I will use normal rear output of the head unit for speaker pods in TP.
Is it good?