Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor build & resale value? does it hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is some very good discussion here and I appreciate everyone's input. I think nevada72 hit the nail on the head and his feeling is very similar to mine. I have stage I now, with a Fuel Moto tuned PCV and it is great. I don't beat on it at all. I can't imagine I would beat on a FM 107 build either. The majority of my riding is two up at 65+ MPH. I would just love to have the extra bit of oomph when passing without having to bang down gears to get there. I will never dump the clutch and tap the rev limiter either, it's just not the way I ride or how I want to treat my machine.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The majority of people will not part with the necessary spendos to correctly modify a motor and consequently will never do it other than the air cleaner and mufflers. Those same people will drive a standard camry, accord, or impala and that is fine with them. Then there are people who actually enjoy the feeling of acceleration, and possibly have the means to afford it. Chances are very good that they are driving a different type of car and have done some motor work on their Harleys or own a CVO. Chances are even better that they spend the necessary money to build it better than stock, maintain it better than the average owner, and more than likely abuse it less. I would buy a modded engine bike before a """ BONE STOCKER"" anyday.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought mine modded. Can not imagine riding a stock HD. I do have a lot of faith in the shop that did the work. 100 hp 100 ft. lbs. Motor was done at 25,000 miles, now has 60,000. It has not been any trouble at all.
It does keep me from looking at buying another bike, knowing it will cost a couple of grand to make it run to suit me.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to know who the shop that built it was and I would have to have proof. I wouldnt buy it that way from a dealer, i would have to meet the guy who owned it, see his demeanor. Maybe have him ride with me on the test ride, see how he rides.
Id also want to know why hes selling. Puts all this money into the bike, and an engine upgrade is alot of money, then wants to get rid of it? Why?
I prefer to buy a stock anything. That way when it comes time to upgrade it, I know its done right.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Once you modify the engine you have backed yourself into a corner re-sale wise. Lower value with a much smaller audience. No one believes the stories sellers tell about how gently the bike was ridden or how carefully the engine was put together and how much better it is than stock after someone modded the engine. Receipts don't mean squat to me unless the receipt gives me a warranty on that modded engine. Now I have bought toys with modded engines but they were a great bargain not at a top dollar price.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build it! You didnt buy your bike to take care of it for the next guy did you?
You build it for yourself, not the resale...
Stock motors suck!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leery of built motors and do your self wrenches seen to many stripped out torn bolts now if everything has been done by a professional backed up with reciepts that's different but never forget that daily ridden bikes are not investments you looking at wholesale and loan values.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting a FM107 on my bike (well they are putting it in for me in May), and I don't care about the resale. Don't ever plan on selling this one. I already have enough into it to buy another bike, I'll never get that back in resale. If anything, it will just be a bike in the stable years down the road.

I would buy a built bike with proper documentation (receipts, dyno graphs, etc). I wouldn't pay more for it, but it wouldn't cause me to not buy it.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, how many here that will only buy stock bike have ever owned a bike with engine upgrades?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

i have a stock motor right now and next month it is going into my buddies garage and being redone to a 95. for me engine mods don't matter cause i know the right people to help me fix any problem that come along. as far as more stripped or rounded bolts coming out of someones house then a shop i don't believe cause i have had plenty of stripped nuts and bolts come out of a dealer then i or someone i know has done. some dealers and repair shops i found don't seem to care about anything except the money you are paying them.

Quick Reply: motor build & resale value? does it hurt?