Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE compensator

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SE compensator

How many are you on now and why!!

I have the 3rd one in my bike now.
Took it do dealer said its making noise again, test ride from dealer sounds normal to me.
I rode dinner ride last night radio on with AMP and good speakers on 6 bars I can
hear the figging thing rattle over my radio at 70 MPH NORMAL TO ME BS

So I am a FORD technician So I pull cover of myself
I do see some gauling and roughness but i was not stuck and I just dont see
What would cause this damn rattle !
At times sometimes when you hit a bump and it causes you to bump the throttle a little
and cause the bike to jump it sounds like the chain is loose
But chain tensioner looks fine and chain was tight
So WHAT causes this noise

Attached Thumbnails SE compensator-comp.jpg   SE compensator-comp3.jpg   SE compensator-comp2.jpg   SE compensator-comp6.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

That rough spot in the last pic looks like a good candidate to me, what primary lube are you running? I'm on my first SE comp on an 08 Road King, unmodded 96. Have 40,000+ on the comp now with no particular problems. When the fretting problem became known I put the tree lube channels on the face of the sprocket hub on each side and connected adjacent slots on the opposite side with spiral grooves. Used a dremel, no special machining. Installed at 15,000 miles. I tried ATF briefly in the primary bit it got quite noisy. Went back to 20-50 synthetic engine oil and that seemed OK, at least quieter, but the clutch plates seemed to glue together too much on cold starts with the first time going in gear. Now using syn 10-60 and that seems beter.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

SE comp likes Formula+ for lube. Don't run ATF with it whatever you do. Don't run the stock HD tensioner. Take it off and check/clean/lube it every season and it should be fine. I've been running my original SE comp now for quite awhile.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I am wondering what primary lube you are using? I have had mine in for about 2 years, maybe 6-7,000 miles and no noise, so far. I plan to pull it down this fall and take a look at it and see how its doing. I am using the H-D Syn3 20w-50.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master

I guess I never ask them What Fluid they put back In it.
The last two comp were from the dealer!!
When they put the this one in I was talking to the Service manager and he showed me one out of another bike!!! That was the 3 rd one for him!!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If your dealer put them in I would guess they used Formula+, or the Syn3. It may say on the receipt/work order.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Formula+ or Redline MTL and last look did not see any signs as in your pictures after about 20k KM. It would be interesting to see if those that have repeated problems may be related to the oils used

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

44k miles on SE comp. Stock HD auto-tensionor. Run Formula + or Syn3. No problems.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

My 11 King has always made a rattling sound some times when I hit large bumps or get a jerky type take off. Sometimes I hear a chain slap sound but I know the chain is tight. I had 2 different dealers drive it and they said it's normal.
I'm now close to 21000 miles and it's still the same, but as far as I can see the SE comp looks good. I just ride her and and don't think much of it any more.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
user_1534GD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wrenchguy24
How many are you on now and why!!

I have the 3rd one in my bike now.
Took it do dealer said its making noise again, test ride from dealer sounds normal to me.
I rode dinner ride last night radio on with AMP and good speakers on 6 bars I can
hear the figging thing rattle over my radio at 70 MPH NORMAL TO ME BS

So I am a FORD technician So I pull cover of myself
I do see some gauling and roughness but i was not stuck and I just dont see
What would cause this damn rattle !
At times sometimes when you hit a bump and it causes you to bump the throttle a little
and cause the bike to jump it sounds like the chain is loose
But chain tensioner looks fine and chain was tight
So WHAT causes this noise

JUST replaced my original comp w/ SE comp at 30K... Also had to do a lot of other 'primary mechanics' work... Why???!!! Apparently there are at least 2-3 'issues' with 'primary mechanics' and any ONE/combo could cause/contribute to the failures... YOU are lucky not to have needed more 'primary mechanics' work... If I remember correctly your bike has had some mods to significantly increase HP/TQ that may also have something to do with this... Curious if your bike was dyno'd (how many times)... I don't know 'why' exactly but I am suspicious of weaknesses in the 'primary mechanics' (design/engineering/materials/construction) and their (in)ability to handle the increased HP/TQ of the 96/103/110+...

Quick Reply: SE compensator