Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with stereo Cutting off when riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
widebody83
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with stereo Cutting off when riding

I have the J&M 7.25 and the 250 amp, I've had them since april. once or twice last year i had the speakers cut off while riding, than once i cut the bike off and back on the system would come back on. it never happen again so i left it alone. Today i changed my battery and went out for a cruise and it did it twice back to back cut off i cut ignition off and back on it comes on rode for 6 or 7 minutes and it cut off again. The radio stays on just the speakers cut out. anyone know what this could be?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you have a CB radio? I thought I had a stereo-cutting-out problem a couple of times before I figured out that the CB was on, but the volume was turned way down. I have a 3-position switch on my Ultra that allows the CB talk to go through the fairing speakers, and it interrupts the music to do it. Just a thought. Maybe that's not it, but I hope it's as simple as that.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

It's worth taking the 7 screws out of the outer fairing to take a look at all your stereo connections. My first thought would be the amp getting hot and shutting down. When you turn the bike off and on it's resetting the amp. Who know's if that true. It's worth taking it apart and cranking the stereo in your garage to try to mimic whats happening on the road. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
widebody83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Do you have a CB radio? I thought I had a stereo-cutting-out problem a couple of times before I figured out that the CB was on, but the volume was turned way down. I have a 3-position switch on my Ultra that allows the CB talk to go through the fairing speakers, and it interrupts the music to do it. Just a thought. Maybe that's not it, but I hope it's as simple as that.
no I don't have a cb on my bike, and that was my thoughts as well that the amp was getting hot, i remember having the same symptoms with car amplifiers in my younger days, and when i restart it, it would come on the same as now. i just don't see how or why the amp would get hot if I'm not even turning it up past 3/4, And it didn't happen until after i rode for about 15 or 20 minutes. so i don't wanna take the fairing off to try to mimic it cause i wouldn't wanna let the bike idle for 20 minutes.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
widebody83
Advanced

Originally Posted by HTNHARD
It's worth taking the 7 screws out of the outer fairing to take a look at all your stereo connections. My first thought would be the amp getting hot and shutting down. When you turn the bike off and on it's resetting the amp. Who know's if that true. It's worth taking it apart and cranking the stereo in your garage to try to mimic whats happening on the road. Good luck.
nice bike by the way

Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the head unit. Mine would go out and I could get it to come back on by either playing with the speaker switch, turning the radio on/off, or cycling the ignition like you're doing. It started once in a while and kept getting progressively worse.

I'd suggest trying to retrieve any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) as a first step. Unfortunately, the radio doesn't store any DTCs so you need to go into the diagnostic mode when the fault is present.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

More then likely it's the HK Radio circuit board that's shot. Caused from the 2 forward handlebar bracket bolts hitting the bottom of the radio. That's why HD put the SB out, telling the owners to replace the bolts with bolts that have a shorter head.

How do I know, I had the same issues with my radio cutting in and out.

Iron Cross Audio will fix you up. Search Iron Cross on this site and your find this is a common problem with 09 & 10 bikes.

This is just my opinion but since you installed all new audio components, maybe go over them first before pulling your radio.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine used to do that, never did positively figure out why. I jumped through hoops for months. Eventually they replaced everything and I sold the replacements. I sold the speakers last, they seemed to be fine when I sold them. Turns out one of them was faulty, they said it was caused by the amp, which they had already replaced. I sold the replacement speakers still in the box. I had enough of J&M. Good company, they gave me no trouble at all, but I gave up on getting everything to work properly.