Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing passing lamps on SG

Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Rosanna
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing passing lamps on SG

Purchased my '08 with aftermarket passing (fog) lamps already installed. I have decided to go with clear lamps instead of the present amber. Ordered HD lamps that match the headlamp and came with the quick connect wires. Previous lamps wired in and don't connect up with HD wiring. I've been told I need to buy a whole new assembly for the HD lamps to work with. Is there any other way around this?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just pull the whole aftermarket assembly out of the equation and install the HD lamps? The connectors to plug the HD lamps into ought to be in the headlamp, unless the previous owner cut off the connectors and spliced the wires in which case you could also splice in the new lights. Or you could order the harness connectors from HD and re-pin the wires that are in the bike headlamp and install the harness connectors, then connect to the new lights.

Am I close?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I used the spot switch that came with the kit but bypassed the whole surgery of the switch harness. I took a aux feed that goes on and off with ignition that was under the seat.....snaked a plastic snake right up the the middle under tank and into the lower fairing area.
It's already fused.

If the ignition is on, I can flip the spot switch on and the lights stay on and have nothing to do with high beams or anything. Completely independent.