Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 before break in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Boomer71
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 before break in?

I recently purchased a 2012 Road King Classic.

Was just wondering what everyones opinions are about doing a full stage 1 upgrade before the break in period is over. I'm assuming that the reduced heat with the cat being removed would only be beneficial?

Any downsides to this?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

None that I can see.

Dealership did Stage 1 on my Low Rider before I picked it up.

Sammi

Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

"stage 1" is kinda nebulous as a general description of high flow air cleaner, exhaust tract and tuner if required.

chosen components vary

important during break in that you don't over rev ( which some tuners may allow if the rev limit is raised) and that the fuel/air mixture is correct.

another concern is going in for the 1000 mile service and the dealer noting your new stuff and voiding the warranty, entering info into the computer on your added accessories ( and if the dealer installs the stuff, get in writing that your warranty will not be violated- the dealer cannot change the terms of your factory warranty)

many common stage 1 components void the warranty, and you wanna keep that in force.

( some may say that the MMWA means you can raise the rev limit, change the mixture etc. etc. but I don't think so)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I had stage 1 done on two bikes before I even picked them up. Never had any problems,so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
None that I can see.

Dealership did Stage 1 on my Low Rider before I picked it up.

Sammi
The Stage 1 I was referring to was H-D High Flow Air Cleaner, Screaming Eagle slipons, and H-D download. Ran that for 1 season without any issues.

Later on went to V&H Straightshots and Power Commander III.

Sammi

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think if the dealer does it you will be fine. If you do it then all bets are off.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
The Stage 1 I was referring to was H-D High Flow Air Cleaner, Screaming Eagle slipons, and H-D download. Ran that for 1 season without any issues.
No problem at all doing those before the bike even leaves the showroom. Harley will even cover everything (approved) installed before the 60 day mark under the factory warranty. That includes a stage 1.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope so! I mean why on earth would it make any difference? Its only how you treat it that will upset, unless of course the settings are not correct.

I had the stage 1 (SE Tuner, SE Heavy Breather, SE pipes) installed before collection along with 255s - seems a bit sharper than my outgoing scoot which was standard

Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Boomer71
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on doing the stage 1 myself (A/C, V&H Dresser Duals (not sure on slip ons yet), and Power Vision) but having HD do it to cover the warranty also sounds good. Any estimates on what a dealer would charge for labor on this?

Doubt I would have them do it but it might be worth it for them to warranty it.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Doubt you will get the dealer to do a Power Vision. But keep this in mind. Is doing the stage 1 yourself really worth the possibility of screwing up your warranty? I opted to remove the CAT, that's all I have done to my under warranty 11 RKC. That's all I'm doing to it until the warranty expires. I have my stock head pipe just in case the damn thing blows up and I need to have warranty work done. I know, they have to prove that the mods you did screwed up the bike. But for me, it's just not worth it. I will ride it the way it is until August 2013 when the warranty expires.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 before break in?