Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amp install help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default amp install help please

Thanks to reading this forum so much, I have talked myself into "needing" new speakers and an amp. I am installing the RF pbr330x 2. Tried to find this in the forums but couldn't. Could someone get me started with the settings for crossover, and what setting for the crossover switch, gain, frequency and variable high level switch work best. I realize it will be a matter of opinion but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Im right there. waiting to put the faring back on and go for a scoot. Just got finished installing the RF amp and 6.5 hertz Titans. Sounds great, but I need to know what the sequence of adjustment to get it to where I would like it. Its def loud.
I would like to know what the popular settings are and work from there.
Is it gonna make that much difference? Thanks. 70 and sunny!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
brandss
Road Captain

Someone has to know this. Hell, the only reason I bought the amp was because everyone was talking about it on here. Hopefully we will get some responsed soon

Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
brandss
Road Captain

Hey wheelman. Any suggestions on the install? I've put off installing til tomorrow and any helpful tips would be appreciated. Where did you ground the amp (says not to go straight to the battery) and what wire did you use for the power lead, not the main power going to the battery. Let me know how it sounds once you get out on it. I'm adding 6.5 polks, marine grade. Cant friggin wait.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed... got my amp wired and installed today , speakers will be in tommorrow, didnt see where it specifically said NOT to ground to the battery , (only where it said to try and use a ground stud if possible and keep the ground wire as short as possible (30" or less) . I better go back and reread ....

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

the yaffe instructions say to ground from battery,rf says keep it under 30" on the chassis,in cars i always did the ground from chassis not from battery?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEVER use the battery for ground. Shortest distance to the chassis...........

Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The Yaffe wire kit specifically calls for the positive wire to the battery and the ground also to the battery. I found the install to be very time consuming (I like to do it right once), but easy. I soldered and loomed all the wires for a clean finish. Th only 2 problems I had was getting the Yaffee bracket with the amp on it close enough to the dash so I had clearance. I ended up moving the wire loom right by the speedo and tach. I had to try and find slack to get the amp close to the dash. I have the cb radio to contend with. Their bracket alows the cb to stay and the bracket goes over. Getting the faring to fit flush took some time with the new batch of wiring etc. The amp is loud and clear. I just got back from a short ride and I had no problem hearing good sound at 80. I have the biketronics 6.5.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Why not ask Yaffee why his instructions say to connect to battery ground while the amp manufactuer of the amp he sells says to connect to frame ground?

Carl

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ground should always be grounded to a point that is the same or as close to the same reference as the radio, and this is usually best achieved by grounding as close to the amp as possible. In some installations this is not always true but not many, but I have seen it where both the radio and amp ground had to be move to the same spot to get them to match.

The amp will use this ground as the RCA reference, therefore, if their is a difference in the two, as in the radio RCA ground reference is different than the RCA amp ground, then the amp will amplify this signal reference, therefore inducing hum in to the system.

AS far as setting up the gain control, I would watch the video that J&M has in the stickies, it is a good walk through for most, the only change I would make is, I WOULD NOT run the radio to 100% then adjust the gain. I would run the radio to 80-85% then adjust the gain. So I would start like in the video with the gain all the way down, then run the radio to 100% and count the notches, clicks, numbers, whatever it uses for the volume, now if for instance is is 30 bars at full volume, I would back off to 25 bars and then set the gain. The reason I would do this and not use 100% of the radio volume is, all circuits have distortion when ran to their max, so whether or not you can discern the distortion it is there if you are using 100% of the radio's volume, and most circuits are designed to have their minimal distorted value below 90% so I always use about 85%.

Quick Reply: amp install help please