Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshiels - tall or short?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM
MSG Hall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshiels - tall or short?

tall and look through the glass

tall and look over the glass

or short?

what do you have, and what works best?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

You are supposed to look over the windshield. Usually a shield that hits you between your nose and bottom lip provides the best results.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM
MSG Hall
Cruiser

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
You are supposed to look over the windshield. Usually a shield that hits you between your nose and bottom lip provides the best results.
and that is what I have always heard. but in 30 years of riding I have never ridden with one. A coworker has a windshield that he looks through and swears by it.

Hell, since I have no knowledge, I thought I'd ask here.

the short ones look the best, but I don't think they would work very well.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

From what I've seen around here, most will recommend looking over the shield. I have a shield I look through, and am thinking of finally making the switch to one I look over (or cutting my tall one). Looking through the shield can give you serious visibility problems if it fogs up, in heavy rain or when the roads are just wet enough for cars to cause mud to mist up the shield.

Look around here or do a search online, and you can get some good advice on how to properly measure the correct height.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skjskmata
From what I've seen around here, most will recommend looking over the shield. I have a shield I look through, and am thinking of finally making the switch to one I look over (or cutting my tall one). Looking through the shield can give you serious visibility problems if it fogs up, in heavy rain or when the roads are just wet enough for cars to cause mud to mist up the shield.

Look around here or do a search online, and you can get some good advice on how to properly measure the correct height.
I'm in the same situation. I could afford an inch off the bottom of mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I do. I got a longridesheilds that has a recurve flair on top of the shield. Couldnt be happier with the product or the company.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

This is what I have on my 09 Ultra. 9.5" clearview with the recurve and it works great, very happy.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I have always believed in, and used shields below my line of sight. I bought a tall shield for the winter(looking through it), it is awesome. it is staying on, absolutely no buffeting, and I can hear my tunes a lot better.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 9.5" & liked it - then I bought a Mustang seat - the seat raised me up an inch or so then I'm getting to much wind - so I went back to a 12.5" with flip & airvent - happy camper - but every body's body is different - Tom

Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM
artz
Road Master

I like the fairing on my EG, but not too crazy about the tall windshield. I bought a 6" and it did a pretty good job. The 4" I have on now is mostly for looks and doesn't really have an effect, so I'll one day go back to the 6".

Quick Reply: windshiels - tall or short?