Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Custom Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't have one of the limited paint sets, just the stock Brilliant Silver Pearl paint. When I damaged my front fender a month or so ago I orderd a brand new factory painted fender replacement. When it was unboxed it had a pull in the paint, as if someone saw something in it while it was wet and reached down and pulled it out! It wasn't pretty and then was cleared over rather than fixed. However, it was on the fender boss and not the main fender. Although it was the fender boss, it still was right on the front of the boss and on top where it would stand out like a sore thumb. Harley had my money and would not exchange it. The two reasons I was giver were: 1.) It was not on the main sheet metal, it was on the fender Boss, 2.) It was les than a 1/2 in diameter and did not pose a corrosion issue since it was under the clear coat in the base. I ended up paying 560.00 for a new fender and then paying a painter to mask off everything except the fender boss, and repainting just the boss itself. Turned out fine in the end but I was some Pissed!

Last edited by Rickr01; 03-13-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an update, my dealership is going to cover everything. I talked to one of the service guys today and he told me Harley takes a few weeks to get everything approved, but it didnt matter they already ordered me a new fender. Was very pleased to hear that. Its going to take a while, but thats ok.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Just an update, my dealership is going to cover everything. I talked to one of the service guys today and he told me Harley takes a few weeks to get everything approved, but it didnt matter they already ordered me a new fender. Was very pleased to hear that. Its going to take a while, but thats ok.

That's the best of a shitty situation! It would still drive me nuts!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

Crap situation indeed. Just glad it didnt get worse. But I got my new C&C seat in today

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Crap situation indeed. Just glad it didnt get worse. But I got my new C&C seat in today

Pics? I JUST got off of the phone with LePera and they are sending me some samples. I've been wondering about C&C.....

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

As soon as I get my bike back from getting the LED's installed I will mount the seat and take some pics! That thing is BAD!!!!!! I got the Fastback. Man its nice! I do have to say althought I wasnt happy with the Lepera at first on my softtail, it turned out not so bad for comfort. Looks is killer.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a Dodge, I always get a good laugh when I see the blue cars with the paint falling off.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

Your right, buddy of mine had a Blue Dodge Dakota and the paint was horrible after 4 years. Only difference my bike is 2 months old

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 sg vivid black

I just got back from the dealer, I had to schedule my recall repairs. while I was there I had the service writer look at my peeling paint on the back edge of my front fender. The paint is flaking off. She said I should carry a spray bottle of water with me because the problem is the calcium they put down on the roads for deicing. Ext warranty won't cover it good luck!!! the fender is rusting where the paint peeled. My 95 Fatboy with 83,000 miles on it looks better than my 09 SG.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

Exactly where mine flaked off. Carry a spray bottle? Really? I love my bike, and I love Harley Davidsons, but the quality is not the best.

Quick Reply: Harley Custom Paint Problems