Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What bike is better, a Street Glide or a Road Glide?

Trying to decide between a street glide and a road glide can be tough. Below you can find some opinions on what are the advantages and disadvantages between each model.

Things to consider:
-Distance you will be riding
-Your height
-Storage room
-ETC

Of course you will want to ride each bike before you make your decision, but the thread below will give you things to consider before making your choice.
Print Wikipost

Street Glide vs. Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You're right, it's so RADICALLY different.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Hope everybody can calm down a bit.

These are almost identical bikes, but with different fairings.

Surely not worth getting in a huff about on either side.

Like most Harleys, people tend to bond with their bikes. I am sure which ever the OP buys they will learn to appreciate their own special characteristics.

Not sure name calling will be all that helpful here.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
jayray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RG on the highway around semi trucks is more stable. I have 4 speakers in my RG fairing, different windshield just to make it mine. I ride the SG to bike night and don't have a tourpak or lowers on it. I love them both.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Turned out to be a "Taste great - less filling" discussion...

Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Guess I'll bring this thread back from the grave.

I put 60K on a Road King Classic in two years, I traded it in on a 2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited and put 48K on that bike. Today I decided that since I put tons of miles on the King and Limited that I'd give the Road Glide a try. I purchased a Black Denim and ordered all kinds of blacked out stuff and will probably get the back in the next week or two.

Before I road the RG I put the 12" HD Wind Vest shield on her and she felt pretty awesome on the highway and she seems so much lighter than my Limited (guessing she is about 60lbs lighter).

I live in Ohio and I probably won't be doing any long rides until March comes along.. Give me a couple months and I'll be able to give you a good comparison of the ride.

I really loved my Road King Classic and put those 60K miles on her in two years.. the limited just didn't seem to reach into my soul like the king did. I'm hoping that my new blacked out Denim Road Glide will give me the same feelings and grins that my King did.

I'll keep you posted.

Scary out!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scarygt
... I purchased a Black Denim and ordered all kinds of blacked out stuff and will probably get the back in the next week or two.
Be sure to come back and post some picture of your new Glide.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Triskut
3rd Gear

Go to a dealer, test them both. There are people that swear by the SG, and others who swear by the RG. It's all a matter of preference.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't want to but I had to open up a "tastes great - Less filling" thread. Just not enough willpower.

Curious as to what the OP got?

I like them both. I've ridden them both. I currently own a streetglide. It just "spoke to me" in the showroom. After about 5 minutes on either bike I really can't tell much difference. I don't notice the sail effect on either bike in winds, nor do I perceive any difference in handling. They were both newer than '09.

My advice if you aren't sure what you want rent one and ride it for a weekend. Put about 1000 miles on it.

You are going to spend money on either bike. Windshields etc...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I didn't want to but I had to open up a "tastes great - Less filling" thread. Just not enough willpower.

Curious as to what the OP got?

I like them both. I've ridden them both. I currently own a streetglide. It just "spoke to me" in the showroom. After about 5 minutes on either bike I really can't tell much difference. I don't notice the sail effect on either bike in winds, nor do I perceive any difference in handling. They were both newer than '09.

My advice if you aren't sure what you want rent one and ride it for a weekend. Put about 1000 miles on it.

You are going to spend money on either bike. Windshields etc...
I agree with everything SG_Dave says. One doesn't handle all that much different to me. RG may handle better behind a truck or in wind, but nobody is complaining about the bat wing in those same conditions. I think you need to ride 1000 miles to really feel a difference and you can't do that in Oklahoma (no rental).

I think Dave has the best idea, get which ever speaks to you.

Beary

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I agree with everything SG_Dave says. One doesn't handle all that much different to me. RG may handle better behind a truck or in wind, but nobody is complaining about the bat wing in those same conditions. I think you need to ride 1000 miles to really feel a difference and you can't do that in Oklahoma (no rental).

I think Dave has the best idea, get which ever speaks to you.

Beary
There's always the option of getting BOTH

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs. Road Glide