Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What bike is better, a Street Glide or a Road Glide?

Trying to decide between a street glide and a road glide can be tough. Below you can find some opinions on what are the advantages and disadvantages between each model.

Things to consider:
-Distance you will be riding
-Your height
-Storage room
-ETC

Of course you will want to ride each bike before you make your decision, but the thread below will give you things to consider before making your choice.
Print Wikipost

Street Glide vs. Road Glide

Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
…… aww, c'mon
Reminds me of this scene from caddyshack

Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

[looks at Judge Smails, who's wearing the same hat]

Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM
getrdone1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grind
As a 6'4" guy that went from a '09 Dyna Super Glide to a Road Glide, I can say, assuredly, you won't be cramped. I did feel like the dash was a bit in my face, when riding my buddy's batwing, though.

I've got an RG Ultra, with highway pegs. It took a few tries to get the Long angled Adjustable Highway Pegs dialed in, but the lower fairings don't get in the way.
Dito I'm 6"1" rode both and fell in love with the glide.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide vs. Road Glide-img_20140302_150401.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
….. it looks good on you though.
…… why, thanks !
……….. no, really.

Last edited by groupw; 03-12-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 PM
grubber117
Stage I

I myself am a bigger guy and I had a bat wing for years and loved it or so I thought. 2 years ago I traded it in and gambled on buying a road glide not being sure if I was even gonna like it. Within the first week of owning it I wanted to return the bike and I actually contacted the dealer to trade it back in. A friend of mine talked me into holding onto it and giving it a chance. I ended up putting on a klock works windshield and a cvo seat on it and now you couldn't get me to buy another bat wing. The shark nose grows on you and the bike rides so nice who cares what it looks like.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 AM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Road glide

Originally Posted by Ganooch
Good Morning, All.

I am visiting from the Dyna section. I love my Street Bob, but think that I am going to make the jump to a touring bike. I had my mind set on a Street Glide and for the last 5 years or so have thought that the Road Glide is a hideous looking bike.

Funny thing is that over the last 6 months it is growing on me. Once I actually did the research all of write-ups of how good it handles vs. the fork mounted fairing on the Street Glide I have been changing my mind.

I know that the Street Glide and Ultra owners will love their bike and the Road Glide guy love theirs. Has anyone owned both at some point. I would be interested in the opinions of people that have had considerable time on both and how you think they compare.

I know that to make my decision I need to ride both and see how they feel, just looking to see what you guys think. Also, I am 6'1", so I am a little worried about being cramped on a touring bike for long hauls.

Thanks,

L0W
I have had both. And the winner is. ROAD GLIDE! Now for the qualification statement. I am 6 ft 2 in tall and 185 lbs. I state that as the correct windshield makes the difference in my answer. I use a Madstad and I have 0 turbulence issues at any speed! The road glide's weakness, is the airflow and turbulence with the wrong windshield
Now for the positive. No comparison in handling, a frame mounted fairing is superior to the fork mounted batwing fairing in handling. Hands down!
Whether around town or on an interstate, the road glide is great. I have 0 turbulence at interstate speeds and I can hear my radio at 40% volume at 75 to 80 mph. In the rain it's a dream. I rode a batwing to Sturgis and back (4500 mile) trip. The buffeting of the fairing was distracting in a steady 20 knot crosswind. Does not happen on a road glide!!!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,777 Likes on 21,281 Posts

Well truth be known I would think that 10-15 BW's are probably sold to 1 RG?
Now I wonder why that is?
You do not see Harley pulling the BW's off the floor and stocking just the RG's?
I think even RK's sell more than RG's?
You can ramble on about the virtues of each, it does not matter.
Numbers do not lie folks.
Tis' what it tis', and that's all she wrote.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I just traded in my 08 SG for a 2011 RG Ultra. And man am I happy. I hated the RG look too. But it slowly sacked me in. Best looking bike now. (Cause I own one) lol.

I know there's a dramatic difference in ride due to the frame. The 11 being the newer design. The 08 having the shimmy in turns is gone on all the newer 10 and later touring bikes. But road feedback. Wind deflection on the SG fairing is gone. Cornering is night and day. The over all ride is not just different but better all the way around. I have 1500 miles in mine in the 2 weeks I've owned it. Don't see any reason to never ride anything but a RG from here on out.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM
flex58
Advanced

Come to the Dark Side, we are waiting. Luke, I am your Faatherr

Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are Glidin your Ridin.....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Butts32
1st Gear

I have a road glide and yes, the head lights don't turn when cornering. But neither do my cars head lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Glide vs. Road Glide