Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What bike is better, a Street Glide or a Road Glide?

Trying to decide between a street glide and a road glide can be tough. Below you can find some opinions on what are the advantages and disadvantages between each model.

Things to consider:
-Distance you will be riding
-Your height
-Storage room
-ETC

Of course you will want to ride each bike before you make your decision, but the thread below will give you things to consider before making your choice.
Print Wikipost

Street Glide vs. Road Glide

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Street Glide vs. Road Glide

Good Morning, All.

I am visiting from the Dyna section. I love my Street Bob, but think that I am going to make the jump to a touring bike. I had my mind set on a Street Glide and for the last 5 years or so have thought that the Road Glide is a hideous looking bike.

Funny thing is that over the last 6 months it is growing on me. Once I actually did the research all of write-ups of how good it handles vs. the fork mounted fairing on the Street Glide I have been changing my mind.

I know that the Street Glide and Ultra owners will love their bike and the Road Glide guy love theirs. Has anyone owned both at some point. I would be interested in the opinions of people that have had considerable time on both and how you think they compare.

I know that to make my decision I need to ride both and see how they feel, just looking to see what you guys think. Also, I am 6'1", so I am a little worried about being cramped on a touring bike for long hauls.

Thanks,

L0W

Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You're going to get a gazillion different answers...in short, here's my take. It's a pretty much known fact that the RG is the best handling touring bike out there. Also, at 6'1" it's going to be your choice for comfort as well, especially right out of the box. I'm 6'1" and haven't changed the stock setup at all. I did put a solo seat on it over the weekend, that actually dropped me an inch or two. But other than that, the RG should fit you well. Go sit on one, you'll see.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Ride them both, only way your gonna know whats right for you.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fleabite
You're going to get a gazillion different answers...in short, here's my take. It's a pretty much known fact that the RG is the best handling touring bike out there. Also, at 6'1" it's going to be your choice for comfort as well, especially right out of the box. I'm 6'1" and haven't changed the stock setup at all. I did put a solo seat on it over the weekend, that actually dropped me an inch or two. But other than that, the RG should fit you well. Go sit on one, you'll see.

Good luck.
Yeah, I figured I would get a bunch of answers and that is what I am looking for. Thanks for the input. Problem is I can't go and sit on one or I will end up buying it.

I am going to ride both. I am looking at the RG Ultra too and hope that highway pegs would be an option, but those lower fairings look like they may be in the way.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L0W R1D3R
I am going to ride both. I am looking at the RG Ultra too and hope that highway pegs would be an option, but those lower fairings look like they may be in the way.
You can have highway pegs with the lower fairings. I just installed lower fairings on my SG and did not even have to move the highway pegs.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Bo Joe
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say ride them as others have stated. Some folks like the closer fairing on the SG and others hate it. Personal preference. I too went through this same thing a month ago. But I couldn't break away from the SG so I picked the SG. I haven't regretted yet but I haven't really had a chance to ride it either. The little bit that I have...the thing is like a caddy compared to my Sporster and I love it.

Both are assume bikes. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I am 6'1", so I am a little worried about being cramped on a touring bike for long hauls.
As a 6'4" guy that went from a '09 Dyna Super Glide to a Road Glide, I can say, assuredly, you won't be cramped. I did feel like the dash was a bit in my face, when riding my buddy's batwing, though.

I am looking at the RG Ultra too and hope that highway pegs would be an option, but those lower fairings look like they may be in the way.
I've got an RG Ultra, with highway pegs. It took a few tries to get the Long angled Adjustable Highway Pegs dialed in, but the lower fairings don't get in the way.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 16,000 miles on my 2011 Roadglide Ultra and put over 80,000 miles on my 04 EGC and if I had to do it over again I would get an EG Ultra. I love my Roadglide but I really perfer the batwing fairing. I like the way the shark nose looks but I perfer the ride of the batwing. I think you need to test drive them both and decide.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
mcmahost
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a Road king custom for the versatility but I have put 1000 miles on both a SG and a RG. RG wins every time in my book. The batwing fairing is very close to the rider. I had trouble seeing the speedo. I'm 6'3.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grind
As a 6'4" guy that went from a '09 Dyna Super Glide to a Road Glide, I can say, assuredly, you won't be cramped. I did feel like the dash was a bit in my face, when riding my buddy's batwing, though.
Great information. Did you have forward controls on your Super Glide or stock pegs. Having forwards on the Street Bob, I feel that I may be spoiled in the leg room area. If you look at my signature pic, I even ride with my heels out on the forwards. But, if you are 6'4" and comfortable with the stock setup, then I am sure with some highway pegs I will be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Glide vs. Road Glide