Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

added gas - bike cut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default added gas - bike cut off

have an 07 ultra with 12K miles. added gas to bike this morning and now it won't start. I keep a few gallons in the garage for snow blowers, lawn mowers, and in case I need to add a few gallons to the bike or one of the cars. Sta-bil treated, gas is about 4 months old. Anyway, my bike was low (rode 2 days this week) so I added about a gallon. Started the bike up and it ran for a while, then right about the point where the just added gas kicks in, bike cuts out. tried to restart and just spins. fuel pump sounds different, perhaps it's dry spinning. thinking I got a clogged tank screen or fuel filter. plan to change out the filter and possibly drain and dump the gas.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just started the bike and left it idling? For how long? Air cooled engines need airflow... aka need to be moving. Just having it sit there idling for a long period is bad for it. What octane is that gas? 91 octane or better is recommended. Maybe you have water in that gas or some dirt got into the fuel system.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Just a thought but check the quick disconnect where the fuel line attaches to the tank. I had mine come loose.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Monkeybomb
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water in the fuel or dirt. If you can drain any of the tank into a clear container its easy to see. It will seperate and the water will drop to the bottom of the container.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought but check the quick disconnect where the fuel line attaches to the tank. I had mine come loose.
I was hoping not to go into those water.....been reading about folks with line and connection problems....I have a 2" lift kit on my tank and was wondering if/when I'd have a problem.

You just started the bike and left it idling? For how long? Air cooled engines need airflow... aka need to be moving. Just having it sit there idling for a long period is bad for it. What octane is that gas? 91 octane or better is recommended. Maybe you have water in that gas or some dirt got into the fuel system.
I started the bike to ride it to work...it ran for 30 seconds or so, then cut out.

Water in the fuel or dirt. If you can drain any of the tank into a clear container its easy to see. It will seperate and the water will drop to the bottom of the container.
I was thinking dirt or water...but it turned out to be water droplets.

got home from work and drained the gas. found some water droplets in it. filled with new gas. bike wouldnt start and obviously had water droplets in areas between the tank and engine. I sprayed the air filter with a little gas and the bike started with no problem...but quickly died once the filter dry out. did this about 2 more times to try to get the water droplets sucked thru the engine and on the third try, bike started right up. so basically, STA-BIL and the like fuel storage additives are worthless. I checked my gas container and found some droplets from condensation. So, this weekend, need to drain the lawn mower, snow blower, generator and pt fresh gas in them.

Last edited by speakerfritz; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
makinthemove
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mix a little dry gas in with the sta-bil. Won't hurt.