Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs

Well it's taken me 2 yrs and various tuners but I FINALLY got my build where it should have been all along. I have to say it's been worth the wait because the bike is simply remarkable now. I never thought performance could feel like this. Unlimited power whenever or wherever I want it. It's simply a blast to ride from a standing start to roll-on power to WOT grip & rip. Simply the best power I've ever felt in many decades of riding. Here's the highlights/lowlights of the saga.

- Bought my 2010 110" SE Ultra in Sept 2009
- Had the bike dynoed before upgrading the engine and it was 77hp/100ftlbs
- Sent my heads to Scott at Hillside for upgrading for a Woods 408-6 cam
- Added a 58mm TB, 5.3gms/sec injectors, Woods 408-6 cam, roller rockers, adj pushrods, SEPST, D&D Fatcat
- The engine was reassembled by my dealership (with the written committment that my warranty would be intact since they were assembling)
- Performance was good at 111hp/115ftlbs

I really had no significant complaints as the bike ran reasonable smooth and the dealership was definitely good by me. The ECU map was in closed loop below 3000rpms and got 40mpg, so I'm not really complaining but it just always felt like the "build's performance was left on the table" instead of in the bike.

So I decided to have another tuner take a shot at tuning it a year later. The bike ran smoother but actually lost a couple hp. Overall it felt somewhat better. Not necessarily stronger but definitely smoother throttle response.

So I lived with it...for a while. My itch came back and I figured I'd give another local guy a shot. Somewhat improved and got a few hp back and abit more tq but once again I was left with a feeling that something was still missing.

During this entire period I piled up over 20,000 miles on the build which was reliable in cold and hot weather and never stumbled, backfired or burped. Yet I was still left thinking the engine wasn't what I had originally hoped it could be.

I won't give out any of the names of these tuners as they were good to me and tried to make improvements and the last thing I want to do is give any negative feedback on anyone. So I won't.

I went back to my original thinking this winter and my discussions with Scott at Hillside and got to thinking about Joe's Cycle Repair in Mechanicville NY, since he was originally recommended for tuning the bike. I had a trip planned to Troy NY a month ago for another reason and figured I'd give Joe a call and trailer the bike with me on the trip. I brought the bike up and left it with him and he dialed it in. FINALLY my bike was all I ever imagined it could be. Simply exciting to ride. Well behaved yet able to spit fire whenever I want it to.

The bike is now at 129/129 Actual (smoothing set to 0). SAE graph is 123/123 and STD graph is 127/127.

Do I have regrets...YES...as in why the heck didn't I just go to Joe from the start. Was it a long drive to Troy NY? Yes! But it was an even longer drive waiting 2 years to FINALLY feel my bike perform with the potential it always had.

Stock bike's dyno graph

Bike's performance after Joe's tuning

Attached Thumbnails Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs-1-2010-seuc-stock-dyno.jpg   Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs-2010-seuc-final-wot-dyno-graph-actual-joe-s-cycle-3_10_12.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-15-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that will do I guess!! good job!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really impressive!

It's a good looking bike too!!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

So what is it? 129/129, 123/123, or 127/127? I actually think SAE is what most people go by, but I could be wrong. Still a really good gain from what you had!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

You just described the exact thing that happened to me 2 years ago with my 117" build. Got it dyno tuned twice and wasn't satisfied. Towed it up to Joes Cycle in Mechanicsburg NY and he dynoed bike and made a custom map. Bike has run superbly ever since. My dyno sheet is in my profile garage.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So what is it? 129/129, 123/123, or 127/127? I actually think SAE is what most people go by, but I could be wrong. Still a really good gain from what you had!
It depends who you talk to. "Actual" is the "real" hp on that particular day, at that elevation, with the barometric pressure at the time of the dyno run. For those that might want to compare the results to their own results, SAE factors out the variables of elevation, air temp, humidity, Baro pressure etc. to attempt to provide a comparable # that factors out the environmental variables.

Myself, I prefer actual. On any given day the difference between actual and SAE can be variable...or not. In fact there are "poor weather" days where SAE and Actual can actually be almost the same. Since most of us generally ride in good weather, I prefer Actual but since others are sure to disagree, I figured I'd provide all 3 dyno #s for those that have a preference.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-14-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dam those are some great numbers nice bike as well. congrates.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe is the best, and it's Mechanicsville in Saratoga County NY. Joe tuned my 2001 flhtci in 2003 and it ran awesome. Best tuner in area.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess you did!!!
LOL

Congrats, I bet your one happy camper. One question, I didn't see any mention of lower engine work. Are you still running a stock harley bottom end?
And one last question, what tuner are you running?

Best of luck with that sweet ride

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Those graphs look super smooth as well, very nice.

Quick Reply: Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs