Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:26 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Excellent!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by DamifIknow
Rear brake pedal locked up on me and was rock hard. No rear brakes at all. Dealer charged me $800 to fix rear master and ABS block. Mechanic says he never saw that before.
DIIK,
I've only seen similar posts once or twice before. How many times have you flushed and changed the brake fluid since 2010? Was it corrosion in the hydraulic control unit? Did they actually rebuild the HCU or replace the entire ABS unit?
Thanks
Bill

Old 02-13-2016, 01:16 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
DIIK,
I've only seen similar posts once or twice before. How many times have you flushed and changed the brake fluid since 2010? Was it corrosion in the hydraulic control unit? Did they actually rebuild the HCU or replace the entire ABS unit?
Thanks
Bill
I just bought bike. Dealer service records show all maintenance performed by dealer before I got it. This happened couple days after I took it home. Dealer changed HCU with new from the factory. Tech did say looked like a valve was stuck not allowing fluid to go to rear caliper from HCU. He also flushed the front fluid just as a precaution. Bled brakes with the tech tool and said all was good now. Harley wants the old HCU back for evaluation. On the bright side the guy I bought bike from says he will pay half the bill of $800.00.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by DamifIknow
I just bought bike. Dealer service records show all maintenance performed by dealer before I got it. This happened couple days after I took it home. Dealer changed HCU with new from the factory. Tech did say looked like a valve was stuck not allowing fluid to go to rear caliper from HCU. He also flushed the front fluid just as a precaution. Bled brakes with the tech tool and said all was good now. Harley wants the old HCU back for evaluation. On the bright side the guy I bought bike from says he will pay half the bill of $800.00.
The maintenance schedule in the service manual say's to check brake fluid at every maintenance from 1k on. If you follow the Brake Fluid column to the end you see note #4 which states change every 2 years. I never saw that until it was brought up here and I change mine every 2 years. The reason is brake fluid is Hygroscopic which means it readily absorbs water from the atmosphere. This can lead to corrosion in the HCU or Calipers. I don't know if our bikes are more susceptible to this problem, I've never changed brake fluid in any other vehicle I owned, but then I live in a pretty dry climate too.
Did the dealer service records show brake fluid flush and change?
If you hear back from the MoCo about the HCU I'd be interested to know what caused the problem.
Enjoy the new bike
Bill

Old 02-13-2016, 03:57 PM
daddyflea
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my bike without ABS one incident was enough to school me

Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

With drew my comment after realizing age of original post.

Last edited by GTK; 02-13-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ABS sucks on harley's, feedback in the brake lever and pedal sucks and so does integrated braking systems. When they get it right maybe I will change my mind till then pay attention when you ride and you won't need to jam on the brakes, I don't ride my bike on ice I don't need ABS.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM
triumphsf79
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just experienced the rock hard rear pedal/no rear brake issue on a 2010 FLHRC. Fortunately, front brake was working. Still was a "raise the hair on your arms" experience. Been on Non-ABS bikes for 45 years. NEVER had this happen. Have almost always done my own wrenching on ironheads and shovels. When I retired, I thought---I'll treat myself to a new/er HD. What a "futzing" mistake on my part! Have successfully learned enough here and on other forums to finally make it comfortable w/o having to take it to HD. Guess that's about to change. Has less than 8,000 miles miles on it. Runs great now. Just won't stop! GEEZ. Anyone have an old shovel they want to trade. LOL! At least a guy can work on those...

Old 03-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

ABS works for me.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 PM
triumphsf79
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonderful.

Quick Reply: Disabling ABS