Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM
CaptainB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling ABS

I am not a fan of ABS being a long time road racer it takes away my control. It has also gotten me into trouble on a couple of occasions. Riding down a steep winding pass in VT. last year I hit a bump in a turn and the ABS released my front brake sending me into the oncoming traffic lane! I can see the advantages in wet or sandy conditions but as an agressive rider it scares me more than helps me.
My question is, if I pull the fuse for the abs will it disable it? And if so, is there any reason that I can't put a switch in line to disable it on command?
Hope someone can help! Thanks, Scott

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
azwolfman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in information regarding this myself. I love my 2009 Street Glide, but the ABS is down right dangerous for anyone trained in threshold braking. It activates much to soon taking crucial control away from the rider input.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Pulling the fuse will definitely disable it. Don't know why you couldn't put a switch inline to replace the fuse.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah I would like to know also how this works out

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

This isn't rocket science. The fuse is just there to complete the circuit. Pull the fuse, solder 2 wires onto connectors that will slip into the fuse holder, run the 2 wires to a switch and your done. If you still want a fuse then put in an inline fuse with one of the wires.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't disable the ABS, the world will come to an end, your family can be sued, you can be sued. Only those bike that have ABS can be safely ridden all other bikes will never stop and will cause terrible repercussions. Yes it can be disabled if you desire.

Last edited by qtrracer; 03-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
triumphsf79 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

After this thread has been around for a few days you'll have a zillion replies that instead of addressing your question of how to disable the ABS, will be telling you how lucky you are to have ABS.

They will tell you that an ABS system works exactly like a non-ABS system up to the point of impending wheel lock up, and if your ABS activated then you would have locked up your wheels and probably crashed if you didn't have it.

Now please excuse me, I need some kool-aid.

The following users liked this post:
triumphsf79 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
After this thread has been around for a few days you'll have a zillion replies that instead of addressing your question of how to disable the ABS, will be telling you how lucky you are to have ABS.

They will tell you that an ABS system works exactly like a non-ABS system up to the point of impending wheel lock up, and if your ABS activated then you would have locked up your wheels and probably crashed if you didn't have it.

Now please excuse me, I need some kool-aid.
That is correct. I don't know if the ABS can be disabled.

It seems to me that if an ABS could be found responsible for causing a bike to go into the oncoming lane, there could be a major liability situation. The only thing I don’t like about the ABS on my Ultra Classic is the hard to get use to sound it makes when you have to get on the brakes hard. Twice the ABS have prevented me from loosing control while attempting to avoid a collision.

Last edited by shortride; 03-28-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Not getting into the like or dislike discussion. Just pull the plug like qtrracer says and plug in a switch. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quick question. several times I have been puttin' down some side roads and just used the rear brake alone and the pedal went down and got this mechanical clicking sound with the bike stopping in a aggravating grabbing sensation. I'm usually a front and rear brake guy but some time trail brake for a purpose.
This is the first bike with ABS and is this that crazy sensation I'm getting???

Quick Reply: Disabling ABS