Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear caliper removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
mteed23
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear caliper removal

So it's time for new pads on my 06 SG. I have never done a brake job on a bike before, however I am confident that I can. I just have a question. What do I have to do to get the rear caliper off to get to the pads?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket off, it can be done by just removing the rear bolt and swinging the caliper up but it's easier if you take the caliper completly off. Also take the top of your fluid resivoir off and put rags around it to catch any fluid that will overflow when you push the piston back. Just a note, for around $50 you can get a Harley mataintance manual. worth the price.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mteed23
So it's time for new pads on my 06 SG. I have never done a brake job on a bike before, however I am confident that I can. I just have a question. What do I have to do to get the rear caliper off to get to the pads?
Replacing the pads does NOt require removing the rear caliper. The pads are replaced simply by retracting the pistons to allow for ample room to unbolt the pads and remove them. BTW, removing the rear caliper requires removing the rear wheel. You do however remove the front calipers.

You loosen the rear brake master cylinder cover and insert a putty knife between the brakepad and rotor and ease the pad back and the pistons behind it will compress into the caliper. You do this to both pads. Then loosen and remove the pad pins.You will need a 1/4" 12 point socket to remove the pad pins. Pull out the pads and replace with new pads paying attention to the shape of the inner and outer pads making sure that you replace the old pads with the new one that are the same shape. Reinstall the pins and seat the pads by depressing the brake pedal. Check your fluid level and reinstall master cylinder cover. Where is Blackstone MA?

PS: Do yourself a favor and take a file and chamfer the leading edge of the new brake pads, usually 3 sides, the left, right and bottom. This will help in eliminating the possibility of your new pads squealing.

Last edited by soos; 03-16-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

-remove the caliper, do not let it hang by or stress the hose, if you need to leave it, use a piece of wire to hang it, or other wise leave it supported.

a satisfying brake job requires that you remove the pad, then give the area a good cleaning before the new pads are positioned, do not use metal tools to push the pad or on the brake rotor ( disk).

pushing the pistons back into the bore will displace fluid back toward the reservoir- or, I crack the bleeder valve and push the pistons in, closing the bleeder while under positive pressure to prevent air from entering the system.
This expels the dirtiest fluid

the pins need to be clean and lubed ( I think the H-D kit comes with new pins)

and an anti-squeak applied to the back of the pads.

brakes squeak when the pads vibrate in place, the RTV -like anti squeak will absorb or resist vibration

If you have not done a brake job on your car, you may want to get help

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-16-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM
mteed23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mkguitar
-remove the caliper, do not let it hang by or stress the hose, if you need to leave it, use a piece of wire to hang it, or other wise leave it supported.

a satisfying brake job requires that you remove the pad, then give the area a good cleaning before the new pads are positioned, do not use metal tools to push the pad or on the brake rotor ( disk).

pushing the pistons back into the bore will displace fluid back toward the reservoir- or, I crack the bleeder valve and push the pistons in, closing the bleeder while under positive pressure to prevent air from entering the system.
This expels the dirtiest fluid

the pins need to be clean and lubed ( I think the H-D kit comes with new pins)

and an anti-squeak applied to the back of the pads.

brakes squeak when the pads vibrate in place, the RTV -like anti squeak will absorb or resist vibration

If you have not done a brake job on your car, you may want to get help

mike

That's the thing though I HAVE done many brake jobs on cars . It just looked a little different to me so I wanted to ask to avoid unnecessary agrivation

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
mteed23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soos
Where is Blackstone MA?[/I][/B]
Blackstone is a little old mill town on the blackstone river just north of the Woonsocket rhode island border