Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Turn Signals issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Turn Signals issue

Hey guys, looking for some help here. Just installed a kuryakyn LED tail light & turn signals in the read of my 1989 FLHS & am having an issue with the turn signals now. So here is the situation, I have them all working & I also have a badlands run/brake light system that makes my turn signals & fender tip lights into running & brake lights( don't know if that could be the issue). Now all 4 still work as running lights & brake lights just fine. The LED turn signals said if the turn signals do not operate properly after installation then use the included load equalized. Which I installed in front of the badlands runbrake box. simple install one wire to right turn signal, one to left, & one to ground. I haven't found my soldering iron yet so all i did was cut away a bit of the rubber on the 3 wires, strip the wires on the equalizer then wrap the each wire together followed by a bit of electrical tape.
problem is if i turn on my turn signal say right the front non LED turn signal flashes just fine the rear LED turn signal flashes but so does the left...they both flash...opposite times left right left right & the signal turned on flashes slight brighter than the one that shouldn't be flashing. So I'm lost...I figure...ground isn't good enough or badlands runbrake box is messing something up....not too sure with electrical stuff. Give some input if & when anyone finds time. Thanks for anyone who posts!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you have an alarm? I know some of them require different equalizers with alarms.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser

no alarm

Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just get a digital flasher relay? They don't require a load to work properly. Those load equalizers get hot...I've seen them melt through plastic.

When I installed LED turn signals on my Buell, I just got a digital relay and didn't have to add any resistors - just used existing wiring and everything work just fine. They usually run about $20 at auto zone and they make them for pretty much all relay styles.

Last edited by blarg; 03-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser

That's an option...i think lol not good with electrical. I'll google it & see what comes up!!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by blarg
why not just get a digital flasher relay? They don't require a load to work properly. Those load equalizers get hot...I've seen them melt through plastic.

When I installed LED turn signals on my Buell, I just got a digital relay and didn't have to add any resistors - just used existing wiring and everything work just fine. They usually run about $20 at auto zone and they make them for pretty much all relay styles.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM
HarleyX89
Cruiser

Well I'm stumped! Just gonna take it to the show when I have some extra cash bc I don't get it. Tried wiring the load equalizer in front of the badlands box behind it...tried added a second ground...just not sure what else I can do! Thanks for the effort guys, I did look into the flasher but didn't find much.