Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Lower Wind Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Lower Wind Deflectors

Have a 12 Ultra EG. I notice when I reach highway speeds (75mph) that I get some buffetting of my helmet. On my previous bike I cured most of this by installing lower wind deflectors. I have looked around some and cannot seem to find any that fit the Ultra EG with lowers on them. Anyone have any luck finding any?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There are some out there, I've seen them advertised online. However, I wonder about their effectiveness because the lowers on an ultra should take care of this. Maybe get the small deflectors that attach to the lower portion of the batwing to force the air in the gap down to the lowers.

http://jescustomaccents.com/product....&categoryId=34

Here's what I was talking about...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by DannyZ71; 03-18-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtball
Have a 12 Ultra EG. I notice when I reach highway speeds (75mph) that I get some buffetting of my helmet. On my previous bike I cured most of this by installing lower wind deflectors. I have looked around some and cannot seem to find any that fit the Ultra EG with lowers on them. Anyone have any luck finding any?
I recently added the batwing lower fairing deflectors which diminished a certain but not yet complete cure for buffeting, a friend at Harley turned me on to this site, I read it and purchased the Klock Werks windshield featured in the ad, and it did the rest....almost no more wind buffeting from the waist up!

I do not believe adding the lower wind deflectors will stop the buffeting issues at helmet level. The problem is an issue of turbulence that occurs with the wind comming from around not just the lower fairing, but also the wind comming from over and around the windshield , this air at high speeds is unpredictable at best, when the improper windshield fails to properly circumvent the wind from blowing not just up and over you but from around the sides of the windshield and batwing, it creates the buffeting effect at helmet level.

I too thought that adding the deflectors at just the lower part of the batwing would help stop buffeting, it did not but once I got the right windshield it was all but gone completely. At the very least I was skeptical, but after reading, and seeing for myself wind tunnel testing on several shields I know this a beatable problem. Check out this web site and see what you think. It is worth an shot, personaly, I think this verses keeping your current setup and adding a lowers sort of deflector is at the very least worth a look.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=1722

Let us know what you decide to do, and if you found a solution. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 03-18-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same problem. I don't ride at 75 mph often, but when I do the buffeting rocks my helmet. The wind coming around the tank is apparently causing this problem. The chrome wind deflectors should solve this problem. I recently ordered a pair from jesaccesntcustoms. They are made to fit an ultra with lowers. I haven't received them yet, but I've been told they will solve the problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
I have the exact same problem. I don't ride at 75 mph often, but when I do the buffeting rocks my helmet. The wind coming around the tank is apparently causing this problem. The chrome wind deflectors should solve this problem. I recently ordered a pair from jesaccesntcustoms. They are made to fit an ultra with lowers. I haven't received them yet, but I've been told they will solve the problem.
I can't wait to read your comments after you've tested them.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle

Just ordered a set in Gloss Black though as my ultra is Black and so are the Forks .. Will pass on what I think after received ..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
eugenetaylor
Intermediate

I'd like to know how they work. I to have a 2012 Ultra and would like to kill the air.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
firebiker
Stage II
Default Thanks for the info!!

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
There are some out there, I've seen them advertised online. However, I wonder about their effectiveness because the lowers on an ultra should take care of this. Maybe get the small deflectors that attach to the lower portion of the batwing to force the air in the gap down to the lowers.

http://jescustomaccents.com/product....&categoryId=34

Here's what I was talking about...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
This is what I have been looking for! I hope to hear from others that have purchased. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I have the black ones from JEScustom accents on my ultra. They work as advertised. Here are some pics:

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent a fair amount of time last year on this problem....the lower fork mounted deflectors give the largest improvement. The clear view shield, with the built in vent, is another big improvement. It is fantastic on a ten or 12 inch shield, although i cut a nine inch long ride shield and installed the vent on it, because I prefer to look over my shield....last come the dragon wings they work great for me only when scooping air in toward me, not deflecting it away.....the three of these mods together give me a smooth ride, where the ball cap I usually wear doesn't buffet unless in a strong cross wind.....to this day I am amazed hd does not put these bikes in wind tunnel and fix this right,....the problem is this barn door fairing leaves a huge low pressure area behind it and air collapses in to fill it......by selectively directing air in with the screen vent, and dragon wings you relieve some of this....I don't know why the lower deflectors work so well but the do.....can't believe I see so few out there...they are by far the single best fix....if you apply the above mods with the 10 or 12 iNch screen, it is like sitting in a lazy boy.......flame away JMHO.

Quick Reply: Chrome Lower Wind Deflectors