Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Commander II vs. Dunlop D407/8

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM
blacktopr
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default comander 2s

Put them on and they are NOTICABLEY better than the Dunlops. Better feel quieter. They are fantastic in the rain ( I live in the northwest and we get rain).
I put Dyna beeds in these tires as well and that may be a small part of it. I like the look as well the tread just looks better . Just from the things i have mentioned so far I will put these on again but these tires are also supposed to out last the Dulops as well ,close to 20 thousand on a rear .We shall see

Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mileage wise, the Commander II's should be about the same as the newer Dunlops. I put on the Dunlop American Elite's 10 months ago and they are still good with 18K on the clock. If the Commander II's had the NWW, I might go for them but prefer the look of the Dunlops. I had the Commander II's previously and the key to a good ride and longevity is keeping the inflation at 41/41.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like comm...good solid ride...good in rain...I got about 2000 miles on mine.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM
DBLX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MCII's are night and day compared to the Dunlops. Much better all around and lighter! Less rotational mass.. Great ride, handling is excellent.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 Street Glide with around 11K miles on it and it looks like I might get another 2,000 miles on the rear tire. I was thinking about going to a Michelin Commander because the company says the tire is good for 20K+. Any feedback?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

'Put the Commander IIs on the '05 SEEG and like them much better all around than the OE Dunlops.

'Only have 2k on the Commander IIs, 'aint goin' back...

Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 PM
ottomatics
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I've ridden both to replacement

I have 10,500 on the Dunlop 407T's on my FLHTK - mostly country/mountain road riding. The Michelin II's went about 12,000 before needing a new set on my old bike FLHTCU 2009.

My impression at first was I liked the handling of the Dunlops, but after about 5,000 miles they got noisy and did not handle as well. The Dunlops held tire pressure better - Michelins always needed tweaking. I ran the tires at 40/42 rear so the Dunlops should not have cupped, the Michelins didn't.

Michelins handled as well as the Dunlops but were always quiet on the turns.

Overall, I prefer Michelins and will be buying my third set tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran two sets of the stock Dunlops tires and had enough of the tire cupping and noise. I went with the Commander II tires and really like how the tires handle and wear. I have about 9k on the tires on my 2009 SG and they still look new. Love the way they handle and are great in the rain. The only thing I have noticed if you let the tire pressure get low you will feel it. Iwill buy another set when these are worn out.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 PM
fredman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Michelin Commander II's on my 09 CVO Ultra. They made the bike feel completely different than my stock Dunlop tires. Gave it more of a sportbike feel. However, I had a situation with them once where the front tire slid out on a rain slick street. Something I had never had with my Dunlops. So.......went back with the new dual compound Dunlops last time and 16,000 miles later, just getting ready to put another set on. I've never had any notice of slipping, etc with my Dunlops.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:21 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I have mc2's on my 2010 ultra great when dry suck bad in the rain. Lost my confidence in the rain with those pos tires. Oh I'm sorry for calling them a pos. But they felt like they slipped over everything when wet. I hope they wear out soon

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander II vs. Dunlop D407/8