Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Fender and Aftermarket Tail Lights, Need Help With Wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Orange Crush 2011
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Fender and Aftermarket Tail Lights, Need Help With Wiring.

Ok, I need some help with the wiring on my tail lights. Hopefully I dont lose anyone here and hopefully someone can help me out.

I bought a Yaffe Chupa fender with the Wedgy tail lights in it for my 2011 Street Glide. The problem I ran into was the Wedgies only have 4 wires, running lights, brake lights, turn signals, and ground and the factory wiring coming back to the lights has 7 wires.

I think I pretty much have everything figured out except I have 1 extra wire. I bought a service manual and was able to figure out the brake, turn signals and the ground. There are actually 2 grounds. So I have 5 wires taken care of and I believe I have the running lights figured out but I'm not sure. The 2 wires I have left are a blue one and a orange/white, I think the blue is for the running lights but I'm not sure because the orange/white works the same. This where I kinda got lost though. I noticed after I had everything wired up and working (without the orange/white hooked up using the blue as the running light) that when I shut the bike off the tail lights didnt flash when the alarm was armed. So I assumed that the orange/white wire was for the alarm. So I then I tried running the orange/white in with the running lights and nothing changed. Then I tried the wiring it in with the brakes and it just messed everything, same thing with the turn singles. The lights wouldnt flash when the bike was turned off with any of these configurations.

So I guess after all that what I'm getting at is which wire is for the running lights, the blue or the orange/white since they do the same? Then whats the extra wire for, for the lights to flash when the alarm is armed? If so what do I wire it to?

Hopefully someone out there has rewired their bike up with some aftermarket tail lights and can help me out here. If not I'm thinking I'll cap off the extra wire (orange/white) and just use the blue for the running lights and my tail lights just wont flash when the alarm is armed.

Last edited by Orange Crush 2011; 03-20-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced

I have a '02 FLHT, with custom LED lights & noticed the same thing with 2 wires that seemed to be hot when the tail light should be. Then i noticed one (orange, i think) was hot with the switch in the "acc" position.

I planned on using it for some LED tag bolts, if i ever get around to putting some on.

I've also read you need a resistor when changing to LED's on some newer bikes to make the factory alarm function correctly.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

blue is run

mike

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced

Is orange possibly for fender tip light?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Orange Crush 2011
Advanced

Originally Posted by thomasbynum

I've also read you need a resistor when changing to LED's on some newer bikes to make the factory alarm function correctly.
Well you are probably right. At least it sounds correct to me since I'm not using the resistor off of my factory fender.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Orange Crush 2011
Advanced

Originally Posted by thomasbynum
Is orange possibly for fender tip light?
Possibly but not sure. Just know have the 2 wires, blue and the orange/white, that will work as the running lights.

I guess I could use the blue wire for the running lights on the tail lights and use the orange/white for the leds on the license plate instead of running it in with the tail lights.

Last edited by Orange Crush 2011; 03-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

If you get a chance get or consult the factory manual for wiring diagrams.

there is a red/yellow used for the HDI running light- is that what you are calling orange/yellow?

there is also orange/white used on harleys

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced

Here's a out of focus cell phone pic i took of mine...

The orange/white wire was the one that came on when tail light should, and when switch is turned to "Acc"

(I had a rear tire/ wiring harness clearance issue, so i had to cut, extend & re-route the wires, so i took this pic instead of writing the colors down since i didn't have the matching wire colors on hand)

Going to these lights...

Last edited by thomasbynum; 03-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Orange Crush 2011
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If you get a chance get or consult the factory manual for wiring diagrams.

there is a red/yellow used for the HDI running light- is that what you are calling orange/yellow?

there is also orange/white used on harleys

Mike
Yeah, sorry about that. I'll go back in my previous post and fix it so I don't confuse anyone. I went out and looked this morning and the one I'm calling orange/yellow is actually orange/white. The red/yellow I'm using for the brake lights.

Here's what factory wires colors are and what I'm using them for:
Blue-running lights
Red/yellow-brake lights
Violet-left turn
Brown-right turn
2 black-grounds
Orange/white-could be running or just extra I guess?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need a resistor with the Yaffe Wedgy lights. there is a reason they cost $500 per set. and that is build right into the light.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Fender and Aftermarket Tail Lights, Need Help With Wiring.