Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gound location pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by G20
Stellerdude,

Press and hold both turn signals buttons at the same time, untill all four turn signals flash. To cancel, hold them both down at the same time again.

I hope I was able to help out.

-G
Go figure, I never knew that. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem. I am originally from Maryland. I'm glad to help an eastcoast brother out, even though I grew up in a diehard Ravens family!

I really hope resetting your TSM does the trick. Please let us know.

Live it up Steelerdude,

G

Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Yes, I replaced all 4 bulbs.
In case that reset procedure is not working for you, then here is a good place to start.
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm
What you need is a load equalizer for LED. Give this people a call, and they can give you some recommends. They do sell part for HD.
You can also search eBay for a lower price, but you know what to do.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jackhis
In case that reset procedure is not working for you, then here is a good place to start.
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm
What you need is a load equalizer for LED. Give this people a call, and they can give you some recommends. They do sell part for HD.
You can also search eBay for a lower price, but you know what to do.
Not real sure that would help me, I do not have LED signals. Can you explain?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having a problem with my turn signals, they flash normal 5 times thne flash rapidly. From doing some searching, I found that sometimes a dirty ground connection could cause the problem. So I want to know where the 2nd main ground location is so I can clean it. Pictures make everything much easier for a dummy like me. (LOL)
I'd start with checking that the contacts are clean and the light bulbs are properly seated by taking each one out rubbing the contacts on my jeans adding dialectic grease and reinstall. I would also check that the sockets themselves have good spring tension and that they are not stuck, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by G20
No problem. I am originally from Maryland. I'm glad to help an eastcoast brother out, even though I grew up in a diehard Ravens family!

I really hope resetting your TSM does the trick. Please let us know.

Live it up Steelerdude,

G
I did the reset procedure, no change. At least I know I have 4 ways now. BTW the 4 ways flash normally.

Anyone out there who can answer my original question as to where the ground locations are so I can clean them to see if that is my problem?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The least used thing is the owners manual. Makes good outhouse reading material and you learn how things work.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There are two grounding stud locations just forward of the battery and under the seat. If you trace the ground strap/cable from the battery, you'll find one; the other is very close to that one--it's often referred to as the "clean" ground since it's to the frame only, and not the battery.

Another ground is located on the triple tree on the left (rider side) of the steering neck--just a simple screw, but it grounds some of the electrical inside the fairing.

If you don't have one already, my suggestion is to buy the 2006 HD Touring Model service manual. I'm as thrifty as the next guy (maybe more so) and I can't imagine anyone doing their own work on the bike w/o having the SM; JMO.

Hope you solve your problem.

Carl

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackhis
That makes sense, as LED requires much less current.
As the other stated above, I about to ask you whether you have replaced the stock bulbs to LED.
Quote:
Yes, I replaced all 4 bulbs.
To troubleshoot your bike's problem, I think you need to help us to understand what is the symptom. As the above quotes, I, now, don't know that WHETHER you have replaced any LED is your bike. In addition, the 4-way flasher is working, so that will eliminate the theory "dirty ground connection", as the the flasher is also using the "blinker" bulbs.
On the other hand, where did you get the information that there are only two ground connections in the entire bike's electrical system.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
There are two grounding stud locations just forward of the battery and under the seat. If you trace the ground strap/cable from the battery, you'll find one; the other is very close to that one--it's often referred to as the "clean" ground since it's to the frame only, and not the battery.

Another ground is located on the triple tree on the left (rider side) of the steering neck--just a simple screw, but it grounds some of the electrical inside the fairing.

If you don't have one already, my suggestion is to buy the 2006 HD Touring Model service manual. I'm as thrifty as the next guy (maybe more so) and I can't imagine anyone doing their own work on the bike w/o having the SM; JMO.

Hope you solve your problem.

Carl
Thanks, I knew of the two under the seat, and cleaned them, I will look at the one on the trees. And yes, I do have a service manual.

Originally Posted by jackhis To troubleshoot your bike's problem, I think you need to help us to understand what is the symptom. As the above quotes, I, now, don't know that WHETHER you have replaced any LED is your bike. In addition, the 4-way flasher is working, so that will eliminate the theory "dirty ground connection", as the the flasher is also using the "blinker" bulbs.
On the other hand, where did you get the information that there are only two ground connections in the entire bike's electrical system.
The problem is my turn signals blink 5 times at a normal speed, and then blink at double speed. If I turn them off and back on, it will again blink 5 times normal then rapidly.

I posted this https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...lp-please.html , and did not get many responses, but it will give you the history of my problem. Keep in mind that I removed all of the aftermarket turn signal stuff and returned it back to stock, and the problem still exists.

As for info on 2 grounding locations, I found this info by searching this forum. It was posted that there are 2 main grounding locations that cause problems from being dirty, the one in front of the battery and one somewhere on the trans, but I can't find that one. (That's why I posted this thread)

I did find that others have had this issue, but no solution was found, folks just live with it.

BTW, I do not have or ever had LED signal lights, when I stated that i replaced all 4 bulbs, I was referring to buying new 1157's and the 1156's and just installing them in case their was an issue with them.

Thanks for the help, Keep the Ideas coming.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 03-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Gound location pics